Hm..would Any Wacky Fish Go With Guppies?

paw-paw

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
HI!

I know this is a tough one...But I would want to add fish that would go together with guppies. I currently have one aquarium (and one quarantine aquarium) in which I have guppy fry and an adult female guppy along with two ottos. But I am planing to separate the guppies (males, females) and only let the guppies breed when I want to...

I was wondering what fish could go with male guppies and what with female guppies... Haven't decided where otos will be (in the male or female tank).
I want to add something unusual, different in both or at least in one of the tank. Of course I want it to be guppy save...

THX for your help...

i can think of quite alot, but it comes down to how big your tank is. most (not all though) oddballs require a min. of 55g.

Personally, I'd go with a killifish of the Rivulus genus, as they tend to co-exist in the same waters in the wild.

abou tank size...I don't aczually have the other tank yet, but I will buy it soon because I want to keep guppies seperated. I currently have 20 g tank, but the other can be bigger ;)

Tanks for the suggestion - any other?

I was thinking about goby...Would that be alright (where there will be no otos)?
I am getting a bigger tank, and am collecting suggestions :unsure:

You might look at a paradise fish or there are a few types of cichlids out there that can go well in a community fish tank. I have only found these fish at one of the higher end lfs around me.

not really an oddball but i am planning to get a pair of bolivian rams to go in my 20g with tetras and guppies

Ok Thx for the suggestions!

I will look for paradise fish (cause I don't know what it is like, unless thid is makropod? )... I have herad about bolivian rams and I also look their look. They are not wacky though :)
But You know, I will have to tanks of guppies - would you suggest rams ( if I decide to get them) with males or females - or do you think it doesn't matter?
And my guppies are still not seperated, the female just had babies a few hours ago...

Prange...can you please be more specific - which kind of chichilids? I want your experiences, cause I don't wanna learn the hard way if they are not compatible...

Straydum please could you please tell me what in you experience would be compatible with gupies? (you told me you can think of a lot of oddballs) - and tell me the tank size, I am planning on buying a bigger tank anyway - for guppies and some oddballs

THX!

starting on the more commonly seen oddballs, there's the black ghost knife fish, smaller species of spiney eels (eg. peacock, zebra, zig-zag), rainbow fishes (but i dont think all species), killifishes, and maybe freshwater gobies. that doesn't look like alot :blush: but i'd be sure to add whatever comes to mind

because its with guppies, larger, imo more interesting oddballs, like bichirs, puffers, and the like are a big no.

the link cheesy feet gave sums up a whole lot on tank sizes and everything

I will look those species up, thanks.

Oh - yes I did go through the link, but my problems are guppies - as you pointed out...I don't know which from the link are compatible with them...

Will have a look, thanks

I was thinking about goby...Would that be alright (where there will be no otos)?
I am getting a bigger tank, and am collecting suggestions :unsure:

a goby?

which one, goby are one of the biggest species available

i think a candy stripe would be 'okay' but i wont be too sure though. its a risk

hm a risk?! Than no! But it is said that they are for small community tanks - I tought that meant that they go with small fishes?

Are you sure about black ghost knife fish? I mean It is big - wouldn't she eat my guppies? I read that they eat convict fish...And in the photo (google) the fish is really big...

PS: what does imo mean - I see it a lot (I am not a native english speaker) :blush:

Most reactions

Back