Hillstream loaches… ( didn’t see a section ) snuggling on the glass, don’t think it was fighting…

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Going back to my African tank, and the question of natural breeding hormones given off by mating pairs, seems like after, more breeds start dancing….

This in my Asian tank, the other day I got to witness a very intimate Denison barb dance at 1st light… this morning I had 3 Hillstream loaches on the front glass… a pair of them seemed like they were snuggling… I know they are not bred in captivity, typically, but perhaps there was remnants of hormones in the water from the Denison dance less than a week ago… it was not as intense, or as intimate as the Denison’s… more like light snuggling…

Gee… these fish have lives during the day, while I’m normally at work ( got most of this week off, so I get to watch my fish more )

if it matters... I think the 3rd one was just happily eating bio film, & didn't pay any attention to the snuggling pair

Last edited:
Hillstream loaches have been bred in captivity a number of times. A guy named Mike (from the US) that started another forum some years ago had them breeding in his tanks. From all accounts they were pretty keen to reproduce too.

If you see the fish doing something different, film it and post it on here.

-------------------

My rainbowfish used to get everything else in the tank going. Rainbows breed if you look at them and when you have a tank with 10-20 x 3-4 inch fish breeding every morning, the tank filled up with hormones and the other fish in the tank would be breeding nearly as much as the rainbows.

Most reactions

Back