Hifin Id Shark?

relyk

Reaction score
There is this Catfish at the LFS here that is labeled as "HiFin ID Shark".... Now I know about Paroons, and ID sharks as it is originally why I bought a fish tank I wanted something that looked like a real true shark (of course every newbie does) but after reading about them I decided against them because i've seen there full size and I don't think its right to stunt there growth..

I've never heard of this HiFin ID Shark though, the LFS worker says it won't get bigger than 10-14" (probably doesn't know what he's talking about) but it doesn't look like a Paroon, the paroons fins are more pointed this is more like a sharks dorsal fin, and it isn't an ID because their dorsal fin is small and really forward.

They are about 1-2" at the moment and quite small, maybe just baby paroons?

Anyways if anyone has any insight on what this might be or if there is actually something like this that won't grow to more than 14" i'd be interested.

sorry for no pics I know it's quite hard to use imaginations lol...

Hi fin paroon
CA-2805.jpg

Banded hi fin....Stay well away
0.jpg

102.JPG

Stay away from any of the above, there are a few different types of paroons, often sold at lfs...

These are "colombian sharks" these are around the size you talk of. However these are brakish fish
03%20Sciades%20seemanni.jpg

What size tank do you have? what other fish if any are in there,

depending on tank size, if its something of a 6 footer or more then look at bala sharks, beautiful peaceful fish but get big usually around 13-14inches in captivity, as seen in my old tank here...bottom of the tank...four of them
4487437865_79a262f47b.jpg

For a smaller shark bodied style fish, red finned black shark, or redtailed black shark, but all of these depend on tank size and tank mates

I would imagine the usually fish shop suspects, bala sharks, colombian shark catfish, cigar fish <Leptobarbus hoevenii

Weldone also on reasearching prior to buying,

Pangasius sanitwongsei..Thats wht there not good for home aqauriums
4977504415_200d20412a.jpg

I i would sooooo love some of these in a huge tropical pond, sooo shark like,,, :drool:

Thanks guys I think you're right maybe they are just baby paroons, I know they aren't banded hi fin or columbian sharks as they did have columbian sharks there and the banded ones have distinct look.

Lol also I agree with above post I love the paroons so much they are amazing looking, but I won't be one of those people who cram a giant catfish into a 33 gallon... Although I did put a pleco in here x_x I will upgrade my tank for him haha!

Bala sharks are awesome but I also heard they require shoals and I don't know if they'd do too well in my 33 gallon I heard they like to swim a lot, although I do like them a lot!

Also forgot to mention I had a red tail black shark but he was way too aggressive with my bolivian ram so I had to take him back :( traded for a blue gourami!

Most reactions

Back