Hi New To This....

antinator

Reaction score
hi im very new to keeping tropical fish and found out from my grandad about cycling using fish, which i have now found to be very hard and unhumane, i had 2 danios in my biorb 60l for about 3 weeks and they were fine, i then brought 3 mollies just as i thought it seems ok just to find now that 2 mollies and 1 danio have died over night, all my water tests are ok but havent got a ammonia test kit yet as i thought my 6 in 1 test stick had it on there, ive had at least 2 danios in my tank for a max time of 4 weeks now am i nearly there when it comes to cycling using fish? i would remove all the fish but there is no way of anybody taking them off me...........as i previously said im very new and would love a bit of help, much appciation thank you

Hi, You really need to get an ammonia/nitrite/nitrate test kit. If your ammonia level goes up just do water changes. A thirty to forty percent water change would be good but leave everything else alone. Your tank after four weeks is probably almost finished cycling. Even so, every time you add more fish there is going to be a heavier load of waste on the biological cycle. I've found that the best thing to use when starting a new tank and also when adding more fish is to use seachem stability. It works pretty well. Be careful, some water conditioners will actually kill the beneficial bacteria. Seachem prime is a good one to use.

Hi I don't actually have much disposable income so I can't spend much on it all, so what I've done with buying 2 danios and leaving them in the tank for 4 weeks is ok for cycling? I've done 25% water changes weekly and its only recntly its killing them off, details of my tank are: 60l biorb with java fern and moss balls

Having the plants will help with the ammonia produced by the fish. But, the most important test you can have is ammonia/nitrite. These are poisonous to fish. SO, when you say that you water tests are fine, but you don't have an ammonia test kit, what exactly are you testing? pH is a minor detail by comparison to ammonia.

25% weekly water changes for a fish-in cycle is not enough. You probably should have been doing daily water changes of 25%, especially early in the process. Ammonia and nitrite must be kept under 0.25ppm (meaning the results for a test of ammonia and nitrite should not register a result). Any ammonia and nitrite reading that you get is hazardous to the fish. It's possible that the reason that the fish are dying now is the cumulative effect of the ammonia/nitrite. Without an ammonia test kit, I would suggest that you do 25% daily water changes and then do a 50% water change weekly until you have a kit. You have no way of knowing that the levels aren't toxic to your fish, so doing the water change will help to keep the levels down. Also, lower your rate of feeding. The more you feed, the more waste the fish will produce. And definitely be sure that any uneaten food is removed quickly - this can also increase ammonia levels.

Good luck, and welcome to the forums.

So if I get this correct I'm doing ok with a fish cycle? I just need to ensure iu do 25% daily changes, how long for this as its a lot of dechlorinator etc to use. Also I won't be able to get a ammonia tester untill end of the month but have the tetra 6 in 1 test strips which tell me everythin but ammonia

Dont worry! Matt to the rescue ;) i've got a spare water test kit, when you next come up you can take it back with u :good:

Lol awesome! Well I don't know when ill be back up! Send it next day and ill paypal u the costs! Also the tests won't do much if I'm not regulating the ammonia levels

Correct, the tests themselves won't do anything for the problem (excess ammonia) but they will notify you of the problem, so that you can take the appropriate steps (water change). The kit will also help you with determining when your tank is cycled, and you can look into adding more fish, if you so choose.

I will definately add more fish as I now only have 2 fish in there, so to lower ammonia only takes a water change? And the more I do it hopefully the bacteria will devolop anythin I can do to help it develope quicker?

best way is to get some established filter media! if i can find a few stamps i'll send it from work tomorrow.

and yes, any sign of ammonia means u need a water change.

Most reactions

Back