Hi! New Guy Here

spacewolf

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi to all.

Just wanted to post some stuff as an introduction.

I'm not totally new to fish keeping but my experience is very limited and after some fairly extensive reading it would appear that it was a miracle any of my fish survived at all - well...... read on.

My only previous tank was a 3ft long X 18" tall X 12" deep tropical community tank that I ended up getting from my sister for £50.
One of my daughters won two Goldfish + bowl / food ect from our local church and proudly brought them home. I got the job of setting it up as the wifey does'nt do fish and all was swimming for a good while. I got the job of cleaning them out, water changes etc as said daughter was only 6 or so and the tank had to kept high up to stop the inquisitive cats getting too friendly. We bought a little in tank filter on advice of our local pet store anf a couple of plastic plants my daughter liked to try and make it a bit more 'homely'.

After a while it became apparent one of the fish was growing much quicker than the other, and after talking with various 'experts', we were told that the urine from the bigger fish was keeping the smaller one's growth subdued. The only answer we were told was a bigger tank, this would dilute the urine and the little fish should start catching up.

Enter the 3ft tank from my sister. It was complete with fish (a bristle-nosed catfish? called Angelina, some other type of pale grey catfish called Mr Grumpy Gills, two Clown loach, six or so Neon Tetras and a couple of oval shaped silver and black fish) and we were advised to keep the big Goldfish      in the bowl and put the smaller one in the community tank.
Well, things didn't get any better, to the point we were told the bigger Goldfish could be another breed of fish altogether and by keeping the smaller one in the community tank we were effectively killing it slowly.

One day after doing a water change in the 3ft tank I somehow managed to break the heater. Instant panick! I removed the broken one and went to see my neighbour who happened to have a spare 200w until I could get to the pet store. We checked it was working (yep - all good) and breathed a sigh of relief.

Got up in the morning for work and to check the fishies, and O.M.G. Apart from 3 Tetras, the rest were dead and the smell was terrible. It would appear that the heater's thermostat didn't work and basically cooked my fish. One sad day.

Stripped the tank down to clean it and remove the dead ones. Over the next few weeks we statred to restock, starting with some more tetras, another couple of Clown Loach and a couple of Leopard spot Plecos, but things never really picked up and so the tank was passed on.
The larger one died at about six years old and about 8" long and earned the name Goliath.

Recently (NOV 2013) some friends of my wife offered up their Trigon 190 for the cost of a couple of bottles of red wine. They knew I had always admired their tank and after some similar misfortunes had decided to stop keeping fish and wanted the tank to go to good home.

So here I am, looking for advice from people who know better than to  keep a Goldfish with a Pleco, with a mind to establishing something pleasing.

Some general bits about me that may help in replies.
I am married, work in a Psychiatric Hospital in south London on 12hr shifts, have five children, a dog, four cats and two rabbits (these actually belong to one of my daughters but after buying the food, bedding and sawdust I sort of feel kind of responcible for them)
Hobbies, when I have any time, include wargames, model cars and general sci-fi model making.

I know this was a bit long for an intro but there you go.
Looking forward to making friends and learning.

Blessings

Ah my, you had a rough start! :/ Sorry to hear that, and really glad you've decided to try again! The tank size you got is great too.

Have you done anything with it yet? If you havn't read about cycling, you might want to check THIS out. You can find ammonia sources HERE.

If you have any questions please ask, we're always happy to help.

Oh and 
welcomeani.gif
to TFF! Hope you enjoy it here :3

Ninjouzata said:
Ah my, you had a rough start!
confused.gif
Sorry to hear that, and really glad you've decided to try again! The tank size you got is great too.

Have you done anything with it yet? If you havn't read about cycling, you might want to check THIS out. You can find ammonia sources HERE.

If you have any questions please ask, we're always happy to help.

Oh and 
welcomeani.gif
to TFF! Hope you enjoy it here :3

Thankyou.

As for the Trigon, I have read muliple articles that suggest they aren't very popular but for my available space it fits in well.
I have read a couple of articles on Cycling and had decided to go fishless, one thing I do have is time and a reasonable degree of patience.
I read your link and already the confusion begins. That link mentions ammonia and adding bacteria, another on this forum only mentions ammonia, with the bacteria in minimal levels present in the water source anyway. Due to my locale, the ever popular auction site will be the easiest way to get the ammonia. I do have a bottle of the API stuff, but again I have read mixed reviews on how good it is.

mnlymandan said:

Well met.

I will start a thread soon on setting up the tank, looking to a tropical semi-planted community tank with wood and a few large rocks. Monday is payday so I should be able to throw roughly £150 ($220?) towards substrates, plants etc with view to getting in set up and cycled in eight weeks - just in time for payday again to get some fish.

Blessings

Hmm? I don't see it mentioning adding bacteria. You are adding ammonia to help grow the bacteria though.
Remember if you have questions you can always ask and there is a link at the bottom of that article for cycling questions.

I'd like to recommend sand substrate. Fish that do have a preferred substrate usually prefer sand (such as corydoras or loaches), it also looks more natural and is easier to clean IMO. :)

Ninjouzata said:
Hmm? I don't see it mentioning adding bacteria. You are adding ammonia to help grow the bacteria though.
Remember if you have questions you can always ask and there is a link at the bottom of that article for cycling questions.

I'd like to recommend sand substrate. Fish that do have a preferred substrate usually prefer sand (such as corydoras or loaches), it also looks more natural and is easier to clean IMO.
smile.png

The mention of adding bacteria was in another post related to the one you linked to, add to that my lack of knowledge and I may have misunderstood (duh)

What sand would you recommend? I was going to go down a traditional looking natural style, brown peagravel or natural fine gravel with drift wood and plants. I do want to keep one or two Leopard spot Plecos, I was gutted when the others went, but the rest are undecided at the moment.
I have seen some great looking 'Seiryu' rock but apparently this can harden your water and mine is already on the hard side. I've also looked briefly at canyon style rocks with contrasting light coloured sands. The more I look around the more I want!
I do have a black background for the tank sides if that helps.
My nearest shop that won't openly rob me is six miles away, everything nearer charges city prices and stock tends to be lots of little bits. I will have to wait til thursday before I can go and look but obviously I can ring to see if they have or can get any specifics before I go.

Thanks again for your input.

Ooh! I misunderstand things a lot so I can see that :lol:

Any sand really, it's recommended for fish like those because they root around in it.
On gravel it can wear down their barbels and opens them up to infections, because poo and uneaten food sink into it, while on sand it sits on top for you to easily vacuum up.

I use black petco sand. You can use play sand if you like, it's cheaper. You need to rinse it a lot though. You want to rinse any substrate you get actually.

Leopard spot pleco... Are you talking about a sailfin maybe? If so they get much too large for your tank :/ I'd highly recommend bristlenose. They come in a variety of colors and get 4-6".

Those rocks are really lovely! I had no idea they hardened the water :/ Then again I havn't looked into getting any.

Most reactions

Back