Hi from Oregon!

amaranth13

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Amaranth on here, I live in Salem, Oregon. I used to have fish in the past, five minnows in a 10 gallon tank and a betta in a 5.5 gallon. When we moved somehow none of the fish survived, not sure what happened. Also when I had them I hadn't gotten much information or research done about keeping fish so I'm sure I made lots of mistakes. That all is five years or more ago. So I cleaned the two tanks, and put them in storage and took my head off of fish.

Now we were cleaning up and I found the two tanks, and now that the loss of those fish is further in the past I wanted to try again. But this time I wanted to do it right and started reading all kinds of information everywhere. Unfortunately there is so much information out there and a lot of it is conflicting! I have started with fishless cycling the two tanks and that is already a challenge! I will see which forum to ask questions about that on. For the rest, after I'm done I want a betta again in the 5.5 gallon (I love bettas) and a very small community group in the 10 gallon. Very very small.

It's nice to meet you all!

Amaranth

Hi! Glad you’re here. Any specific questions on fishless cycling that you need help on?

Thank you for your welcomes! I posted the question in the 'fishless cycle questions' thread if I remembered it right, but in short I added baking soda to my water in small amounts after dissolving it in a cup, because I have a Kh of 2 and I kept getting pH crashes. unfortunately since I did that there has been no changes in Ammonia and Nitrite levels, so I was wondering if I killed the cycle.

Gosh, good question. Don’t worry about your KH/PH while cycling. Concentrate on ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate now. What are your readings right now?

Thank you! Someone answered me on the other thread and I could either wait for the bacteria to get used to the high pH (for them compared to before) or do a 50 percent water change so they will start up again, they would have to adapt to the higher pH and then they're not used to the pH the tank will have in the end. So, I'm going to do a 50 % water change. Right now my readings are still the same, ammonia about 1.5 ppm, Nitrites about 0.75 ppm and Nitrates somewhere between 40 and 80 ppm. My water is 82 degrees F.

Most reactions

Back