help!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

finfayce

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hi- as some may know i have been trying to save a guppy well long story short.
i now have 1 guppy left. idk what i did wrong. i set up a little nano 5 gallon tank. tested the word. ammonia was a little high. used API Quick Start and then API Ammo loc.
so i put 1 1/2pints of hydrogen peroxide into the 20 gallon in which my fantail goldfish died)(who died with a strange protuberance)
so now i wish to put the one last guppy in that tank.
**Question- can i just drain and fill a couple times and put the guppy in there?
i don't want him in other tanks if he has a sickness. and i can't flush the poor fish.
thanks.

My experience with food-grade hydrogen peroxide would suggest yes. If the hydrogen peroxide has been soaking in the tank (diluted in water) over 24 hours it will have broken down into harmless materials (oxygen and water, I think) and you’ll have seen bubbles.
A couple of rinses and (assuming you have the necessary media, water dechlorinator, filter etc) you’re good to go. It sounds like you might not have the necessary bacteria-laden media, though?
API Quick Start might not have the right bacteria to start a cycle. I had advice on here that only Tetra SafeStart and Dr Tim’s One and Only contain the right bacteria to start converting ammonia into nitrite. Then you can get the more commonly available bacteria to help with the nitrite-into-nitrate conversion.
So you might not have the right bacteria yet to do that first ammonia-to-nitrite conversion, which is why you might have struggled with ammonia - you had nothing in your tank to eat it!
Others will be along with more educated advice but this is my experience with re-starting a cycle after losing fish. The guppy is lucky to have 20 gallons and such a diligent owner!

My experience with food-grade hydrogen peroxide would suggest yes. If the hydrogen peroxide has been soaking in the tank (diluted in water) over 24 hours it will have broken down into harmless materials (oxygen and water, I think) and you’ll have seen bubbles.
A couple of rinses and (assuming you have the necessary media, water dechlorinator, filter etc) you’re good to go. It sounds like you might not have the necessary bacteria-laden media, though?
API Quick Start might not have the right bacteria to start a cycle. I had advice on here that only Tetra SafeStart and Dr Tim’s One and Only contain the right bacteria to start converting ammonia into nitrite. Then you can get the more commonly available bacteria to help with the nitrite-into-nitrate conversion.
So you might not have the right bacteria yet to do that first ammonia-to-nitrite conversion, which is why you might have struggled with ammonia - you had nothing in your tank to eat it!
Others will be along with more educated advice but this is my experience with re-starting a cycle after losing fish. The guppy is lucky to have 20 gallons and such a diligent owner!
thank you so much for answering!
my guppy is still alive - so far so good.
i just couldn't have another guppy die due to something i did wrong.
not sure about adding any companion fish for the 20 gallon. hopefully this guppy survives.
i appreciate that you referred to me as diligent- it's nicer than crazy. ☺️☺️

Most reactions

Back