Help

DrunkenMunky

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Girls,
i have noticed that 2 of my fish have some strange what looks like dots on there front fins and i just got a bit curious and thought maybe they have picked up a disease or something. I have just changed my tank over for an even larger tank and external filter but now i'm kinda worried having looked up white spot it says it affects the whole fish so if i have picked up on something then i'm guessing its in the early stages of it.
I've tried to link a picture but it appears the file is too large the location of the spots seems prety uniform on both fish but my other 2 don't seem at all affected.
Also the fishes behaviour doesn't seem at all different than usual except my chocolate oranda was caught last few days having a nap in some plants which is a bit weird but i just put it down to fish gotta nap too?
any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Munky
ps not sure how to link pics if anyone can give me advise would be great thanks muchly again

i've added a pic of my moor dunno if you can see as 100k is a pretty small file size soz but please help as woried
thanks

Attachments

• ick.jpg
    ick.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 27
It looks like ick(also called ich or whitespot disease)

i've read about treating the tank with salt any advise on dosing and what sort of salts?
:unsure:

Some fish can't stand salt so it depends on your stock whether you can treat this way. Also some ick/ich has become resistant to salt treatment.

But normally it's treated with 1tbsp per gallon added over a period of time, dissolved in advance to let the fish adjust to the new enviroment, slowly raise the temperature to 29-30 degrees, increase aeration as this will deprive the fish from oxygen to a certain extent and siphon and do water changes then every day to remove as much of the ick parasites as possible(adding salt to the new water to the proportions of the water ammount you have removed) You'd need to keep up the routine for at least a week after all spots from all fish are gone to prevent reinfestation.
Then slowly bring the temperature down and several water changes to remove the salt.

kinda thought about this carefully and don't think i can do the salt treatment as i have 2 apple snails and i'm not sure how salt will worrk on them but i can only imagine it doing harm, any suggestions for any products available to buy at lfs? :good:

turns out its not ich at all funny but hey turns out there male fancies...... well fancy that panic over no salt required with my fish :D

Most reactions

Back