Help!

damovts

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My angel fish is laying on the bottom of the tank and keeps trying to swim then sinking again. what could this mean????

How many gallons or litres is the tank.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.
Is the fish bloated.
Can the fish maintain its balance in the water.
[URL="http://www.flippersandfins.net/SwimbladderDisease.htm"]http://www.flippersandfins.net/SwimbladderDisease.htm[/URL]

Its 90 litres

4 neons
4 silvertips
2 female fighters
2 angel fish (one of which is the ill one)
2 peppered corys
and a coupple of mystery snails lol

Will post water stats in a sec as was just testing

fish is not bloated

swims on its side then sinks and dosent move for ages.

any idea what it is wilder?

Swimming to oneside can be bacterial, swim bladder to internal parasites.
Does the fish look thin.
Can it maintain its balance in the water.
What does it look like when the fish goes to the toilet.
Check the anus of the fish to see if its enlarged or red and inflamed.
Does the tummy region look sunken in.
What do you feed your fish.
Any red patches on the body of the fish or red streaking in the fins of the fish.
Does the fish look darker or paler in colour.
Is the fish still eating.

Swimming to oneside can be bacterial, swim bladder to internal parasites.
Does the fish look thin.
Can it maintain its balance in the water.
What does it look like when the fish goes to the toilet.
Check the anus of the fish to see if its enlarged or red and inflamed.
Does the tummy region look sunken in.
What do you feed your fish.
Any red patches on the body of the fish or red streaking in the fins of the fish.
Does the fish look darker or paler in colour.
Is the fish still eating.

hes an angel fish and only a baby so he has always been thin
it seems to have trouble maintaining its balance but most of the time dosent swim at all
bout 2 days ago i noticed his poo was a bit stringy but havent seen him go today
anus dosent look enlarged or red
his tummy looks the same as usual
normal flake food or occasionally live or freeze dried bloodworms
no red patches or red fins
colour looks the same
he ate a tiny bit of a pea but when he was ok yesterday he wouldnt eat at all

Sounds like swim bladder to me have you read that link I left.
How thin is he if he extremely thin he could have internal parasites.

http://www.fish-disease.net/diseases.htm

Taken from the link.

Swim Bladder Disorder

The Swim bladder is a gas-filled sac located inside the fish’s body cavity just above most of the other internal organs. This sac is what gives the fish buoyancy and controls equilibrium. The amount of gas in this sac changes as the fish rises and sinks in the water, enabling it to swim, hover and move in the water. Without the use of the Swim-bladder organ a fish is unable to control it's own movements.

Symptoms:

Fish with a swim bladder disorder appear to have an abnormal swimming pattern, usually with their tail end up. They also appear to have difficulty maintaining equilibrium. They may even float upside down or appear to be stuck at the surface of the water, being unable to swim down, or they may lie on the bottom, unable to rise. Fish with a swim bladder disorder will continue to try and feed, showing a normal appetite.

Cause:

The most common cause of swim bladder disorders is improper diet. An improper diet can lead to intestinal gas or intestinal blockages. Intestinal blockages can irritate the bowel, giving bacteria or other parasites an entry point where they can then cause damage to the swim bladder. Swim bladder disorders are most common in the larger, deep-bodied varieties of Goldfish. Fish also fed a lot of dried foods, especially pellets, are most susceptible. This condition is frequently observed in the later stages of Malawi Bloat, which is primarily due to an improper diet as well and intestinal irritation.

Treatment:

Because this disorder is due principally to an improper diet, a change in their feeding needs to be made. Dried foods with lots of protein should be kept to a minimum. Pellets and other dense foods should be soaked prior to feeding or completely eliminated from their diet. Foods with lots of fiber should be introduced, such as zucchini, squash, spinach, romaine lettuce, peas, and grated carrots. If you suspect that the fish is victim to a bacterial infection, treat the fish with a medicated food.

Sounds like swim bladder to me have you read that link I left.
How thin is he if he extremely thin he could have internal parasites.

Hes not that thin hes the same as he was when we got him.
yea i read it. as i say he ate a bit of pea earlier but he hasnt moved for a while...think he mite be dead

Bless him has his gills stopped moving.

Bless him has his gills stopped moving.

its hard to tell coz they stopped moving earlier but he was still alive. also hes white so u cant really see them move easily

Can you issolate him so you can keep a close eye on him.
Maybe put him in a container at the top of the tank.

Can you issolate him so you can keep a close eye on him.
Maybe put him in a container at the top of the tank.

yea we did that earlier coz it was too hard to look at him and give him a pea with all of the other fish around

Is he laying to oneside.
How his breathing.
Is he turning upside down.

Is he laying to oneside.
How his breathing.
Is he turning upside down.

yea he is laying on one side he was doing this for long perioda of time earlier. earlier he looked like he was breating one min then had stopped the next. now i cant see him breating at all. he isnt turning upside down but when he did swim earler it was on his side

Do you have a hospital tank as you need a heater and airstone to try a bacterial med.

Most reactions

Back