Help

dan9281

Reaction score
hi im new to keeping fish and i could do with some help. I brought a used CLEARSEAL B SHAPE AQUARIUM, the big one, but i feel the filter has seen better days and i would like to replace it with the Fluval 205 External Filter. i would like to know if anyone has the same tank and if they use an external filter or of any advice that can be offered as im new to the habby and abit unsure on what filter to use.

Many Thanks

Dan.

Never buy a second hand filter....

Best bit of advice i can give you. every one i`ve bought has had parts missing or has leaked ect.

when buying a new filter you would idealy be looking for 5x the tank volume flow rate so if you have a 100L tank you would be looking for a filter that is rated for 500L
they all work in the same way, eheim are one of the best makes after that fluval are good also...

Nothing wrong with "second hand" they are only a sealed container when all said and done, as long as its STILL sealed when you get it.. theres little to go wrong other than the impellor - which can be replaced.

Nothing wrong with "second hand" they are only a sealed container when all said and done, as long as its STILL sealed when you get it.. theres little to go wrong other than the impellor - which can be replaced.

often the rubber seals have perished as the filters have been left dry for a while, generaly resulting in a half empty tank and a wet floor.
the pipes are cut to the wrong lenth, meaning you need to buy more, and as you say the impellor can go, self primers generally don`t work. and half of the atachments are missing.
I`ve had a couple of second hand filters that have worked but those are ones i`ve been and purchased in person not via ebay or other websites.

I`ll never buy a second hand filter again. in my opinion its not worth it..

The seals and hoses can be replaced. Even a new filter, you should watch it the first time you start it, my fluval leaked brand new, but only needed a $3 gasket to fix.

Most reactions

Back