Help With Tiny Tank!

tibby25731

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My younger brother has decided to get some fish. He thought he could have a couple of goldfish in a tiny litte tank, it's 15x8x8, which I work out to be about 16 litres. Tiny! Is there anything that could live happily in there? It's a plastic tank so I think he will be looking to keep it unheated, but he is looking into a filter - what type of filter could be used on a tank so small? The tank has a lid but he would like to light it - is this possible?? He's only 14 and doesn't really have any cash, so my mum will pay out a small amount to start him up. Any suggestions regarding filter, and stocking? I was thinking maybe a few african dwarf frogs.... or I saw some lieelt blue lobsters the other day, do these stay small???

I'm no expert on tiny tanks, but I would think a betta(but may need a heater)?! What about a simple sponge filter or small Hang on Back filter?

If the lid is clear he should be able to set a small light on top(depending on how hot the light will get)

Crawdads (which was what the lobster prob was) don't stay small. Mine was about 6 inches when I gave it back to the pet store (I was tired of it catching and eating my fish).

I did think about a betta but he has only kept goldfish before (badly!) and I wouldn't like to recommend a betta just yet! I guess for a light, he could just point a desk lamp at it, as long as it wasn't a hologen bulb because these get very hot! I was thinking about white clouds but am not sure how many he could have in a tank so small......

Read the intro to bettas topic in the Bettas section. If your house is warm enough you might be able to get by without a heater for one of these. A little internal sponge filter or an AquaClear mini (or there are other tiny filters people have mentioned) would work along with the more frequent water changes that are advisable in a small tank.

A betta might just be a better choice than some other things, esp. since he has you to keep an eye on what he's doing.

~~waterdrop~~

Hi, I just wanted to chime in that my 5 gallon would be just over 16 liters and it's acrylic (plastic, I guess you'd say.) I do not heat it but it stays around 73-75F. It is in my kitchen against an inside wall, so that probably helps--the warm room plus being away from the outer walls. Don't know what that's warm enough for, but my cory was happy enough for the months he was there (I've since moved him).

I hope it works out for him and he falls in love with the hobby. :good:

Well he is still making up his mind though I am trying to steer him the betta route! He wants a bigger tank already :p for more fish!

Well he is still making up his mind though I am trying to steer him the betta route! He wants a bigger tank already :p for more fish!
tibby, if he's 14 maybe you should challenge him to prove he can stick to the maintenance on a betta tank before getting involved in something more complicated. Fourteens have busy lives.

Yeah, I have said that he needs to be sure before getting a bigger tank! My brother doesn't go to school at the moment and spends all his time at home so it will be good for him to have a hobby that doesn't involve his computer.... :p

tibby, if he's 14 maybe you should challenge him to prove he can stick to the maintenance on a betta tank before getting involved in something more complicated. Fourteens have busy lives.
Yep, im only 15 and setting up my 2nd tank, although my LFS dude wouldn't sell my anything but hardy fish for my 1st tank to see if i was able to look after them :) now im moving onto cichlids,

Most reactions

Back