Help with stocking tank

irish1759

Reaction score
I have a new 250L tank that is just done cycling and looking for help with stocking. Will definitely have some Cory to start. And maybe some German blue rams further down the line.
But would also like to have maybe a pair of angelfish.
Question is I also like clown killifish or forktail rainbow fish (Pseudomugil furcatus) would these two fish be too small to have with a pair of angelfish when it's fully grown.

What is the pH & GH of your water source?

I have a RO system at home which I have been using for brewing beer . I live in a hard water area pH about 7.5 GH is about 9-10 I think when test for the install of my RO system.

The RO runs separately to main supply at home, so have access to both. RO system is in my brew shed in the garden so have easy access to that water when needed

It’s great to have that flexibility. What GH will you maintain in the tank?

I'm not sure really , heard 4 to 8 is good but not to clued in on the water chemistry for an aquarium yet

Different types of fish have distinct GH, KH and pH requirements. Many of the livebearers (Molly, platy, sword) require GH of 10 or greater. Many East African cichlids need GH around 20. South American cichlids need soft water. Here’s a list of hard water fish that has been passed around the forum. You can look up a comparable list for soft water or someone on the forum will share.

1. Livebearers:
    • Guppies (Poecilia reticulata)
    • Mollies (Poecilia sphenops, Poecilia latipinna, etc.)
    • Platies (Xiphophorus maculatus)
    • Swordtails (Xiphophorus hellerii)
  2. Cichlids:
    • African Cichlids (especially those from the Rift Lakes)
      • Lake Malawi Cichlids (e.g., Mbuna, Peacocks, Haps)
      • Lake Tanganyika Cichlids (e.g., Frontosa, Tropheus, Julidochromis)
      • Lake Victoria Cichlids
    • Central American Cichlids (e.g., Convict Cichlid, Firemouth Cichlid, Jack Dempsey)
    • South American Cichlids (e.g., Green Terror, Texas Cichlid)
  3. Rainbowfish:
    • Boesemani Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia boesemani) lovely fish
    • Australian Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia fluviatilis
    • Red Rainbowfish (Glossolepis incisus)
  4. Catfish:
    • Synodontis Catfish (various species, commonly found in African lakes)
    • Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus sp.)
  5. Barbs:
    • Tiger Barb (Puntigrus tetrazona)
    • Odessa Barb (Pethia padamya)
    • Rosy Barb (Pethia conchonius)
  6. Danios:
    • Zebra Danio (Danio rerio)
    • Giant Danio (Devario aequipinnatus)
  7. Other Fish:
    • Clown Loach (Chromobotia macracanthus)
    • Denison Barb (Sahyadria denisonii)
    • Siamese Algae Eater (Crossocheilus oblongus)
    • Kribensis (Pelvicachromis pulcher)

Rams of all colours - but not Bolivian rams as they are a different species - need water warmer than most other tropical fish. This does limit the fish you can keep with them. Before buying any fish, it is a good idea to research their temperature needs as well as their GH range to make sure they are compatible.

Rams of all colours - but not Bolivian rams as they are a different species - need water warmer than most other tropical fish. This does limit the fish you can keep with them. Before buying any fish, it is a good idea to research their temperature needs as well as their GH range to make sure they are compatible.
And here's a handy site to do that research on. https://www.seriouslyfish.com/

Most reactions

Back