Help With Stocking Middle Layer Fish

jessfish77

Reaction score
Hi there.

I have a 30L/15(US) gallon tank (its roughly about 18" wide by 14" high by 10" deep) and have so far stocked it with 10 little neons, three corys and 1 male betta. Everyone seems quite happy in their tank, but I've noticed that there isn't much colour in the middle layer of the tank as the betta spends most of his time near the top of the tank and the corys spend most of their time at the bottom and the neons are just so small, its hard to see them sometimes.

So, I wonder if anyone could reccommend some colourful fish that I could have in the tank that would mainly occupy the middle layer and get along well with the other fish.

My main priority is that my fish are happy so if there isn't any other option than to just keep the guys I have in now, I will live with that, but if there is a possibility that I could get some more colour, that would be great!

Thanks for your help!

Jess

your fully stocked as it is.

you should aim for 1" of fish for every gallon of water.

so 15 gallon tank, 15" of fish, you have so far

10 neons - 10"
betta - 3"
cories (depending which ones) - 3-6"

it's not so massivley over that you need to worrk, it's a perfectly manageable level of fish, but you don't wanna add anything else

30 litres is about 7.5 US gallons... your tank is 40 litres (going by its dimensions) which is 10 US gallons.

As Miss Wiggle said, a good guide is 1 inch of adult fish per US gallon of water. You currently have 16-20 inches of adult fish. I wouldn't add any more fish to that tank. Keep on top of your water changes and you should be ok. Change at least 30% of the water once a week with a good gravel vac to get rid of waste and it should be sustainable. In a tank that small it doesn't take long for things to get out of control if anything is off.

Thanks for your feedback. It's very helpful!

Jess

OOPS! I just realise I said 30L tank - I meant 50L, but from your info I see I have enough anyway.

Thanks!

Jess

Most reactions

Back