Help With Sand Cleaning

george4

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi recently converted my tank to sand but am finding it cleaning difficult. my tank is deep and so gravel cleaner is not powerful enough to suck poo off surface even when i swirl it around,, hav jus been using a piece of hose pipe to psyfen it out but his means i have to put my whole arm in the tank. does any one have any better ideas ? thanks

How deep is your tank? Usually a circular swirling motion should be enough to dislodge any debris on the sand. Alternatively, you could look at getting a gravel vac. I use a Marina battery powered vac which cost me about £12 from pets at home (plus the cost of some C sized batteries). It extends to about 14" and works quite well.

I dont really understand why your gravel vac isnt powerful enough, just swirl it about around an inch above the surface, that should lift the loose stuff off the surface allowing you to suck it up. I have never done it personally, but apparently theres a nack to it, so just experiment :p

Ash

Its more the swirling motion, not the suction power of the vac that lifts the debris, then you have to suck it up while its floating about. Takes some practice :)

Hi, I've just had the same problem. Youre gravel cleaner isn't big enough. I think you will find that if you buy the next size up then it will suck up the debris. This worked for me. Mark

No gravel cleaner is definitely big enough , it jus lacks suction power and so does not efficiently take poo off the sand. am managing fine with piece of pipe but have to put arm in tank as its 60cm deep . do the battery powered cleaners actually take water out the tank of just filter it ? and will there be any suitable for the depth of my tank? also how often should i be vaccuming the sand ? thanks

I bought a clear piece of hard plastic tube to slide over the flexible hose so that I do not have to get my hands wet while vaccuuming the sand.

I notice the tube to vacuum-tube ratio is a bid deal with my sand suctionyness. -_-

If I have a 1/4" tube with a two inch vacuum then I don't get a lot of power, but if I do the opposite then I get bunches. I just searched around online for one with a bigger tube and a smaller vacuum and I don't have a problem anymore.

If I just made any sense, I hope I helped.

Most reactions

Back