Help With Rio 300 Lighting Please

Steve1972

Reaction score
[font="verdana]Hi
I have another thread running regarding my tank build that I am currently designing but this thread is for some specific advice on lighting if anyone could please help

My initial intentions are to put 4 Iquatics Juwel compatible high output 54W T5 lamps with reflectors onto the jewel hilite system (Juwel 2 light sets (4 tunes) with 3 flaps):
1 White,1 Aquablue 50:50, 2 x blue plus

So that is what I intend starting off with and I was under the belief that ultimately it would be lighting that would limit what I would be able to put in the tank and I may at like to put some hard corals in, would this setup be adequate ?

More longer term if not adequate does anyone know of a suitable lighting unit that would sit nicely onto the rio300. Ideally any new light unit would be one that wouldnt leak light into the room above the tank but may not have that choice ?

I would very much appreciate your help and to understand what others have done
Cheers[/font]

IMO, I don't think you'd be able to keep sps with this lighting. When I was working with my 36g, before I switched to Halide, I had read that you needed between 3-5 wpg of florescent lighting. A really rough guide. I had about 4.3W of compact florescent lighting and wasn't going to go beyond softies. My sea grasses struggled more too. Now that I've upgraded to a Metal Halide, my sea grasses are growing more. For me, sea grasses are comparable to sps in a reef system.

For me, I'd go Metal Halide, but that's just me. two 150s should give you really nice spread. You'd have to suspend them somehow, though. Price is also a factor. Right now, Steve, what is it that you want to grow?

L

Hi
That at the moment is a difficult question for me as everytime I go into the local shop I just drool at everything I see and the beautiful colours... wow.
So at the moment I was just trying to sort the equipment out the best I can within my budget before making up my inhabitants list
Cheers

Most reactions

Back