Help With Protein Skimmer

mark7616

potatoes
Reaction score
Im looking for a basic protein skimmer to run my 180ltr tank. What should i look for could you recommend one it needs to be a good budget one not to costly thanks.

TMC V2 400 is about as good and cheap as you're gonna get in the UK. Should cost you around £80 IME. :good: Anything cheaper than that is probably a waste of money

You can see mine on this pic. A nice tidy skimmer.

S5000633.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aquarium-Fish-Reef-V...1QQcmdZViewItem

I use the above skimmer (mines the 150 gallon version). It's dirt cheap but really good. I've had no experience of other skimmers but this one keeps my tank running. It skims really well although I had a bit of problem with salt creep around the joins until I sealed them with some aquarium sealant. It's absolutely great IMHO.

Have to say I think partly it's since it's on a 16 gallon tank :rolleyes:

aquarium.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
There is also the Red Sea Prism protein skimmer. They hang on the back of the tank, so are hidden and therefore much, much more aesthetically pleasing, IMHO. You can pick one up on ebay second hand for about 40 quid. New one will cost about twice that... :good:

ARE50181.JPG

There is also the Red Sea Prism protein skimmer. They hang on the back of the tank, so are hidden and therefore much, much more aesthetically pleasing, IMHO. You can pick one up on ebay second hand for about 40 quid. New one will cost about twice that... :good:

ARE50181.JPG

I think there's a lot of cheap red sea prizms about for a good reason - people decide they aint much cop. I've not used one myself, but read a lot of negative stuff on here from others who had.

Deltec are a brand which get recommended a lot - MCE600 is a hang on the back job. I bought one second hand for £100 and an very pleased with it. I have another cheapo brand skimmer still in the box as well - used it for a fortnight then realised you get what you pay for. Noisy, wouldn't keep a consistent level of foam - neither use nor ornament.

Most reactions

Back