Help with new tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishtacos

Reaction score
I had an old tank which is 40L that i stopped using about 2 months ago. I have set this back up, dechlorinated the water and currently only has a sand substrateand no plants. It has been set up for a week and i have had no bacterial bloom. I originally use the old filter for about 4 days (the filter has been out of water for 2 months) but i have switched to a brand new sponge filter. I am confused as to why the bacteria bloom has not started? I have been using fish flakes and pellets as my source of ammonia. Thanks in advance

It takes time for the food to be converted into ammonia. You actually need to grow a colony of bacteria-that-you-don’t-need first to do this. Once ammonia starts coming through, then you’ll wait for ammonia-eating bacteria to grow. It’s a lot quicker adding ammonia to start with.

When nitrites show, or when nitrates increase, then you’ll know you’re getting ammonia.

I had an old tank which is 40L that i stopped using about 2 months ago. I have set this back up, dechlorinated the water and currently only has a sand substrateand no plants. It has been set up for a week and i have had no bacterial bloom. I originally use the old filter for about 4 days (the filter has been out of water for 2 months) but i have switched to a brand new sponge filter. I am confused as to why the bacteria bloom has not started? I have been using fish flakes and pellets as my source of ammonia. Thanks in advance
Hello Fish. 10 gallons of water isn't very much. The water chemistry can change radically in no time or not at all. What are your plans for this tank if I may ask?

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Hello Fish. 10 gallons of water isn't very much. The water chemistry can change radically in no time or not at all. What are your plans for this tank if I may ask?

10 Tanks (Now 11)
Hi, I am going use this tank for my Endler fry. I currently have 15 mixed Endler fry that are in a breeder box in my 105L tank.

Most reactions

Back