Help with medication

thrujenseyes

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My male guppy has been very bloated for almost a week. (Picture 1)
Wasn't sure of the cause so I did a few Epsom salt baths with no resolve.
Hadn't eaten or pooped in days and looked like he was going to pop.

I quarantined in bowl and treated with smaller doses of Epsom salt and changed water daily.

Today was the first time he pooped (and got smaller...less bloated) but the poop was stringy and white (picture 2).

I'm assuming he has internal parasite and have to also assume the entire tank has (even though they all seem fine).

What can I use to treat tank that won't harm my snail and shrimp. Also it's heavily planted.

Water parameters are steady
PH: 7.4
KH: 40-80
Chlorine: 0
GH: 75-150
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:0
Weekly 50% water change religiously

I've read about API general cure and also Hikara prazipro....?!

Attachments

• IMG_3142.JPG
    IMG_3142.JPG
    234.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_3179.JPG
    IMG_3179.JPG
    349.9 KB · Views: 177
API general cure I my go to for internal parasites. I've also used Parasite Guard by tetra. I'm not really certain if either is plant safe/invertebrate safe...

He's pooping and it's colored! (Looks clear here but it's not).
I posted in slow mo so you can actually see him...normal speed he's too fast to look at.

Should I assume he was just blocked or should I still think it was/is internal parasites?? He's totally back to normal and eating and acting all wiggly and fast and zooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he isn't getting thin and he continues to eat, then I say don't worry about it. Fish only tend to come down with internal parasites if their immune system becomes compromised. Stress and bad water quality are often the main causes. Just keep feeding them and doing your water changes and I think he and the others should be fine. If you ever spot a fish that's spitting food back out, then you might want to worry.

If he isn't getting thin and he continues to eat, then I say don't worry about it. Fish only tend to come down with internal parasites if their immune system becomes compromised. Stress and bad water quality are often the main causes. Just keep feeding them and doing your water changes and I think he and the others should be fine. If you ever spot a fish that's spitting food back out, then you might want to worry.

Great advice!
Thanks much, I appreciate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems to me after one of my EB rams got constipated, her first poop was whitish. I fed her peas after a fast, and she was better in two days. Did you feed your guppy peas too? Maybe it's just that they have to clean out after not eating for a bit.

To answer your questions about meds, I've used PraziPro in my heavily planted with inverts 120g showtank with absolutely no issues. As long as your pH is above neutral, add I've heard some bad experiences with soft RO water. I didn't lose any fish and the affected ones looked much better the very next day. I don't think meds are necessary though, in your case. Just keep observing.....and good luck!

Thanks Mark! Why is that poor puppy (your icon) in the cone of shame? So cute
Haha, at that time, she was chewing at her foot because of allergies. She actually is very good with the cone, she really doesn't mind it!
She is the best dog! I have been taking her each week to UPenn for radiation treatment for cancer. Next week is her last treatment!

Seems to me after one of my EB rams got constipated, her first poop was whitish. I fed her peas after a fast, and she was better in two days. Did you feed your guppy peas too? Maybe it's just that they have to clean out after not eating for a bit.
Oddly the pea seemed to be the culprit this time?! Thankfully now, he's back to normal and his poops are normal also! I think he was seriously constipated or maybe even had a blockage. 4 days in epsom salts seemed to do the trick...I guess?! Or else it just needed time?! Kind of a guessing game.

To answer your questions about meds, I've used PraziPro in my heavily planted with inverts 120g showtank with absolutely no issues. As long as your pH is above neutral, add I've heard some bad experiences with soft RO water. I didn't lose any fish and the affected ones looked much better the very next day. I don't think meds are necessary though, in your case. Just keep observing.....and good luck!
Thanks for the info on your experience with Prazi Pro, it helps so much to hear what others did!

She is the best dog! I have been taking her each week to UPenn for radiation treatment for cancer. Next week is her last treatment!
Awwww...I'm sorry she's been sick but that's wonderful that her last treatment is coming up! What a great Christmas present!!

Well I'm glad your guppy has recovered :)
And I'm happy to share any experiences keeping fish!

Well I'm glad your guppy has recovered :)
And I'm happy to share any experiences keeping fish!

I'm really glad to as I thought for sure he was a goner.
And even after the stress of being in a hospital bowl for 4 days I thought for sure he'd just wither away, but he's still zipping around happy as a clam.

Most reactions

Back