Help With Id

Firstman

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Was wondering if you could help with the ID of a fish I purchased. It is about 6 inches now, very thin, elongated and sleek, almost like a stick. It has a sucker mouth and cleans glass and ornaments. Will post pic below. If you can ID please tell me.

Hi everyone. Was wondering if you could help with the ID of a fish I purchased. It is about 6 inches now, very thin, elongated and sleek, almost like a stick. It has a sucker mouth and cleans glass and ornaments. Will post pic below. If you can ID please tell me.

farlowella or whiptail ?

Does sound a lot like a Farlowella. These are very difficult to maintain, so please read up on its needs prior to purchase. The vast majority (and I mean 99%!) of specimens sold end up dead quite quickly.

Cheers, Neale

unknown.jpg
[/img]

Sorry, was having trouble with photo loading. What do you think?

Yep, Farlowella.

In brief, these need relatively cool, very well oxygenated conditions. They are almost entirely aufwuchs feeders and won't compete with other plecs or catfish at feeding time. You will need to give them either lots of green algae or a suitable substitute, such as algae wafers. They should be the sole bottom feeders!

They are targets for bullying or nipping fish, and if harassed, stop feeding. Most specimens either die from starvation or heat exhaustion, so those are the two issues to bear mind.

They are gregarious, so keep in schools of 6+ specimens.

Cheers, Neale

Yep, Farlowella.

In brief, these need relatively cool, very well oxygenated conditions. They are almost entirely aufwuchs feeders and won't compete with other plecs or catfish at feeding time. You will need to give them either lots of green algae or a suitable substitute, such as algae wafers. They should be the sole bottom feeders!

They are targets for bullying or nipping fish, and if harassed, stop feeding. Most specimens either die from starvation or heat exhaustion, so those are the two issues to bear mind.

They are gregarious, so keep in schools of 6+ specimens.

Cheers, Neale

Thanks. I appreciate your quick answer. I have had him for about a month now and doing well. But with your ID I will now make sure to offer other variety of foods. Peas, lettuce,etc. My Farowella thanks you.

Most reactions

Back