Help With Cursed Aquarium

Nick-H

Reaction score
Well, heres an introduction. I have been keeping fish for about 2 years know, I consider myself an intermediate aquarist, and know the basics of keeping fish. I have a 45 gallon aquarium that I have kept many kinds of fish in over the course of time. Right now My aquarium is inhabited by: 2 giant danios, 1 Hujeta "Rocket" Gar (4''), 1 albino cory, 1 plecostomus, and a number of feeder fish are in the aquarium at most times. The layout of the aquarium is 3 feet long x 1 foot wide x 2 feet high. I have 3 undergravel filter units, as well as a power filter and have always kept my aquarium very clean. I am aware of the cycling of the aquarium as well as keeping the water conditions (temp, ph, salinity,etc.)I would like to get some new fish soon, but need to resolve some of these problems first.
The problems Im having are:
-Many of the fish I have had have developed bump-like or swollen lips. I have seen this on giant Danios, Rainbowfish, tetras, and a few others. I have done research already, but have not found anything that fits this description. (see pic)
-I cannot get any live plants to survive in my aquarium. Only the kind that grows from bulbs will live, and those only for a few months.
-Many of the catfish that I have kept have died right away. They swim around they aquarium constantly for days (sometimes in circles, sometimes not)and eventually just give out and die. This happened to several blue channel cats and silver tipped cats. plecostomus and corys are fine though.
-Many of my top level swimming fish (danios, gar) swim in the middle instead of the top. Im thinking this could be a lighting issue, I use a standard "grow-bulb", 18 inches I think.
-Algae growth is rampid in my tank, although it is never in direct sunlight and I have had quite a few algae eating fishes, it still gets to covering the tank. I avoid using treatments for this because I dont want to rick hurting the gar. (Its not that bad in the pic because I just cleaned it all out)
Other info:
PH: 7.0
Temp: 80 degrees F.
Salinity: dont know exactly, but I do add aquarium salt.

Attachments

• DSC_0002(1).JPG
    DSC_0002(1).JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 70
Just so we're working with the information we need, please fill this out;

Tank size:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Off the top of my head, you don't need any salt at all, good chance this is what's hurting the various catfish. The picture appears to be a fibroma, they are thought to be viral in nature, not real common, but do happen. No medications for this being viral, the best that can be done is a bit of home surgery with a sharp razor blade or other such tool.

As far as plants, I don't do them at all, as only a few out of my couple dozen tanks even have substrate. I'm sure someone well versed in plants will happen along shortly, we have many such members, if they don't I'll bring this topic to their attention.

BTW, welcome to TFF! :D

Just so we're working with the information we need, please fill this out;

Tank size:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Off the top of my head, you don't need any salt at all, good chance this is what's hurting the various catfish. The picture appears to be a fibroma, they are thought to be viral in nature, not real common, but do happen. No medications for this being viral, the best that can be done is a bit of home surgery with a sharp razor blade or other such tool.

As far as plants, I don't do them at all, as only a few out of my couple dozen tanks even have substrate. I'm sure someone well versed in plants will happen along shortly, we have many such members, if they don't I'll bring this topic to their attention.

BTW, welcome to TFF! :D

alot of that stuff is in the little blurb I wrote, the rest I dont know and cant find out right away.
water changes: I do about 1 or 2 gallons at a time, once or twice a week.

Try 10% daily on the tank for 5 days, about 5 gallons for each change. After that aim for something more like 25% weekly minimum. Most shops will do those tests for a minimum charge if not for free. Have them write down the numbers for you with those test results.

We can help you more when you give us the extra details, but I can see a couple of issues immediately.

You have so many stones piled up on your gravel, that your undergravel filters won't be working efficiently. They'll also be the reason you can't keep plants, as plants and UG filters don't mix; the plants don't like the constant flow of water over their roots.

All your fish (except the silver tipped cats, which you really shouldn't be trying to keep in a tank that size anyway) are freshwater; you don't need to be adding salt.

As Tolak hinted, your water changes are no where big enough; I'm betting that your nitrates are very high which is affecting any new fish you add. The fish you already have will be acclimatised to it, but it will affect anything new. You want to be doing somewhere between 25 and 50% weekly.

The reason your 'upper level' fish are hanging out lower down in the tank is lack of cover. They're just feeling too exposed up there with no plants (floating ones would be good) and no background on the tank to give them a sense of security.

I'm not sure what to suggest about the lumps on the fish's lips; I've never experienced anything of that sort, but hopefully someone will be along who can help you.

80°F seems very high for the fish you have.

Not really adding anything but just to emphasise the point, you're trying to keep freshwater fish in what you've made into a saltwater tank, that'll be the biggest problem (the cats are more sensitive so no wonder they died first). Change out all of the water but not all at once, do about 30% per day for five days and never add salt to the change water again after that (unless you're temporarily using it for medicinal purposes).

We can help you more when you give us the extra details, but I can see a couple of issues immediately.

You have so many stones piled up on your gravel, that your undergravel filters won't be working efficiently. They'll also be the reason you can't keep plants, as plants and UG filters don't mix; the plants don't like the constant flow of water over their roots.

All your fish (except the silver tipped cats, which you really shouldn't be trying to keep in a tank that size anyway) are freshwater; you don't need to be adding salt.

As Tolak hinted, your water changes are no where big enough; I'm betting that your nitrates are very high which is affecting any new fish you add. The fish you already have will be acclimatised to it, but it will affect anything new. You want to be doing somewhere between 25 and 50% weekly.

The reason your 'upper level' fish are hanging out lower down in the tank is lack of cover. They're just feeling too exposed up there with no plants (floating ones would be good) and no background on the tank to give them a sense of security.

I'm not sure what to suggest about the lumps on the fish's lips; I've never experienced anything of that sort, but hopefully someone will be along who can help you.

80°F seems very high for the fish you have.

Not really adding anything but just to emphasise the point, you're trying to keep freshwater fish in what you've made into a saltwater tank, that'll be the biggest problem (the cats are more sensitive so no wonder they died first). Change out all of the water but not all at once, do about 30% per day for five days and never add salt to the change water again after that (unless you're temporarily using it for medicinal purposes).

I was told at pet stores that it was recommended that I put some salt in the aquarium, not nearly enough to make it a salt water aquarium, but just enough to keep some in it. Petsmart and petco use salt in their aquariums. Also, I use the salt to prevent Ich, which I have had major problems with in the past.
Another thing is I dont understand why I should have to change so much of the water on a weekly basis. The water stays very clean and my gar is quite sensitive to spikes in the water conditions, so I try to keep water changes in as small incriments as possible.

Petsmart & Petco make a huge amount of money on salt. Their suppliers make a huge amount of money on salt. You can get a 50 pound sack of livestock salt for around $5. API aquarium salt is around $2 for a 1 pound carton. Both are the same thing.

Petco & Petsmart are retailers, have a business to run, and must show a profit to stay in business. Asking their sales staff for aquatic advice is akin to asking the kid behind the counter at McDonalds for nutritional advice; neither has the knowledge or experience, both are sales staff. You have no idea of spikes, or cleanliness without the results of requested tests advised. I advised the smaller changes for several days before any larger changes to avoid any sudden changes in water parameters, as your smaller water changes are in no way sufficient for the removal of any dissolved organics or built up nitrates, which affect both hardness via total dissolved solids, as well as pH. These are water quality issues that will affect all your fish.

Another thing is I dont understand why I should have to change so much of the water on a weekly basis. The water stays very clean and my gar is quite sensitive to spikes in the water conditions, so I try to keep water changes in as small incriments as possible.
The trouble with that is that there will be build ups of organic compounds, such as nitrate and hormones produced by the fish, that will mean the water in your tank will be very different from your tap/source water. That in turn leads to unstable conditions in your tank.

If, as Tolak says, you start gradually increasing your water changes (it needs to be gradual as your fish are currently acclimatised to the poor water that's in the tank now and you will shock them if you make too many large changes right away) then you'll get the tank water more similar to your tap water and the tank will more healthy and more stable.

The visual 'cleanliness' of the water is irrelevant; sulphuric acid is clear, but it wouldn't do your fish any good!

If your tank is properly cycled and the filters maintained, you shouldn't be experiencing any kind of spikes from water changes.

OK so now that it is established that my danios have this fibroma virus, how do I rid my aquarium of it?

OK so now that it is established that my danios have this fibroma virus, how do I rid my aquarium of it?

Large, frequent water changes should always be the first option. It is amazing what they will do.

Most reactions

Back