Help With Buying A New Filter.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ythao01

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I'm going to buy a new filter for a 20 long and have been looking at the aquaclear 50 rated for 10 to 50 gallons it goes for around $37. But I noticed that other filters like the penguin 350 and tetra whisper 60 are also in the $30 range and are rated for 60 gallons and up so which is the better buy? I'd like to stay in the $30 range.

Performance wise they are all pretty similar. I would go with the one that had the space to put in additional ceramic media in it, and also look at the cost of replacement elements (cartridges) over the others, and if one gave more options with media arrangement, (no need for carbon in a filter)

I believe the Aquaclears are the ones with the extra room, yes? If so that would be the one I would go with. That being said I use canisters  or sponges on all of my tanks. 

ythao01 said:
So I'm going to buy a new filter for a 20 long and have been looking at the aquaclear 50 rated for 10 to 50 gallons it goes for around $37. But I noticed that other filters like the penguin 350 and tetra whisper 60 are also in the $30 range and are rated for 60 gallons and up so which is the better buy? I'd like to stay in the $30 range.
Make your own filter instead of buying one.. If you were to go onto youtube and do a search for dyi filters or dyi powerhead filters you will find all kinds of wideos to help you build one..

Most reactions

Back