Help With Brine Shrimp! For Fry!

Psingh

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi i recently buyed "Waterlife Artemia Shellless Decapsulated Brine Shrimp Eggs" Like on the back of it i got some water (1 pint) added 3 level tea spoons of salt and added 1 1.5ml of brine shrimp eggs says on the bottle 1ml gives 16,600 eggs. So i done all that added air stone left a light source and its been 24 hrs, please view the youtube link to see how they look atm. Any tips or help if i am doing this right? They still look like eggs to me i dont see any brine shrimp.. should i leave it longer ? am i suppost to see the brine shrimp moving around? or are they to small?

Shrimp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNOfmJcIrUw

The only thing missing is a heater. They need to be kept quite warm to hatch on time. They will still hatch at lower temperatures, just more slowly. Usually what I do to keep them warm is to put the hatching container inside a heated tank and attach it so that it won't tip over. If you put a heater in that small container you could overheat them killing them all.

Also, the type of salt matters. I have always used what is called Ice Cream Salt. It's dirt cheap and available at any supermarket here in the US. I think last time I bought some it was $0.98 for a two pound box.

The only thing missing is a heater. They need to be kept quite warm to hatch on time. They will still hatch at lower temperatures, just more slowly. Usually what I do to keep them warm is to put the hatching container inside a heated tank and attach it so that it won't tip over. If you put a heater in that small container you could overheat them killing them all.

Also, the type of salt matters. I have always used what is called Ice Cream Salt. It's dirt cheap and available at any supermarket here in the US. I think last time I bought some it was $0.98 for a two pound box.

Ah i can not fit a heater on this tho. all it is a 2ltr bottle lol. Any suggestions?

Ah i can not fit a heater on this tho. all it is a 2ltr bottle lol. Any suggestions?

if you place it on top of your
tank with the lights on there will
be enough heat there to hatch brine
shrimp they are very very small they
need to be to feed to the fry

I dont understand how it will get enuf light on top of my tank tho? what do you mean?

I dont understand how it will get enuf light on top of my tank tho? what do you mean?

the light attracts them heat
and air are main points
when you come to use them for
feeding turn the air off shine
the light on them they will go towards the
light siphon off or use a turkey baster
to collect them

and air are main points
to collect them

Do i have to keep it on top? can't i just keep it under my fish tank in the cubbard with the artifical light on the lamp.. i have OR does it need real day light? becuase i want to do water changes but it makes it hard for me.

and air are main points
to collect them

Do i have to keep it on top? can't i just keep it under my fish tank in the cubbard with the artifical light on the lamp.. i have OR does it need real day light? becuase i want to do water changes but it makes it hard for me.

no artificial light will be ok
on it in the cupboard also keep the air
on as well the light should provide heat
enough

Yeah ok thanks maybe adding baking soda will help also

The main requisites to hatching Brineshrimp Cysts successfully are
Valid cysts
Water
Salt
Light
Heat
Water Agitation

SDC12312.jpg

Mix 6 heaped 5ml spoonfuls of Cooking Salt to 1 ltr of water add a small amount of Sodium Bicarbonate if your tap water is below 7.5 pH (to a pH of around 8.2)
Place near a light source which will also act as your heat.
Temps to around 74'f will be fine. for a 24 hour hatch.
Add the cysts for around 90 mins before adding your airline to agetate the water. (this is to let the eggs hydrate before hatching, yours will already be stored in a brine solution so no need for this stage)
They will hatch in 24-36 hours.
See my decapsulation thread.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=280661
Regards
C

The main requisites to hatching Brineshrimp Cysts successfully are
Valid cysts
Water
Salt
Light
Heat
Water Agitation

SDC12312.jpg

Mix 6 heaped 5ml spoonfuls of Cooking Salt to 1 ltr of water add a small amount of Sodium Bicarbonate if your tap water is below 7.5 pH (to a pH of around 8.2)
Place near a light source which will also act as your heat.
Temps to around 74'f will be fine. for a 24 hour hatch.
Add the cysts for around 90 mins before adding your airline to agetate the water. (this is to let the eggs hydrate before hatching, yours will already be stored in a brine solution so no need for this stage)
They will hatch in 24-36 hours.
See my decapsulation thread.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=280661
Regards
C

Hey thanks for the reply. at the moment i have "salt" not table salt just says "salt" Is that ok?,

By the way i only have a 25watt bulb atm is that if its on 24/7?,

and also on the little container they came in it says. 3 teaspoons of salt to 1 pint of water. i am only going to have 1 batch of convict fry atm. So how many eggs do you recon i should be feeding them?

And i dont want to over do it... How long will shrimps live once hatched? becuase if i have got 2 bottles running at 1 time i dont want 1 half to die becuase they havnt been used Thanks! :)

Wow thats alot of things your doing also lol

I like to use Cooking Salt as this gives me the best results at the measurements given above.
25w of light will be fine if your recepticle is close enough to gain the heat from it (experiment on this)
The light is left on 24/7.
I use double ended medicine spoons, The 5ml end I use for salt measurement and the 2.5 end for brineshrimp egg measurement.
I would feed a batch of Killifish fry a dropper full 3 times a day clearing after each feed. Strain the dropper full of artemia through a cotton hankie and rinse with tank water over a jam-jar. Then swirl the hankie in the tank of fry.
You will always get wastage with Artemia cysts.
You can purchase cysts more cheaply from http://www.ta-aquaculture.co.uk/
under Brineshrimp Eggs in the left-hand menu.
The shrimp will not live long after they hatch if larger quarters and food is not supplied to them.

Yeah I culture all my own live foods namely
Paramoecium, Vinegar eel, Microworm, Bananaworm, Grindalworm, Whiteworm, Drosophila, Chlorella sp. algae, Mexican Gammarus... etc.
for some more articles please read.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/340027-forty-shades-of-green/
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/337192-pardon-my-gammarus/
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/332837-a-shrimp-from-the-orient/
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=300818&st=0
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=310323&st=0
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=301746&st=0
amongst others
Regards
C

Me and Mr Biffster used to cultivate brineshrimp in demijohns with an airstone. We used to put the demijohn on top of the fish tank coz the heat from the light used to help them to hatch. The tank was also under the window so the natural light helped as well. To know when your brineshrimp have hatched the contents look pink and if you shine a light near the bottle you see them swim towards it.
We also used to cultivate microworms and whiteworms for fry.

Me and Mr Biffster used to cultivate brineshrimp in demijohns with an airstone. We used to put the demijohn on top of the fish tank coz the heat from the light used to help them to hatch. The tank was also under the window so the natural light helped as well. To know when your brineshrimp have hatched the contents look pink and if you shine a light near the bottle you see them swim towards it.
We also used to cultivate microworms and whiteworms for fry.

Today i put 6 teaspoons of salt in 1.1 ltr of water with 3ml of decapsulated brineshrimp eggs. Also a little bicarbonate of soda. Ive left a 25watt lamp directly over the water Hopefully in 24 hours we will see the result. Hopefully they hatch.. Also im wondering after ive hatched can i not keep them for upto 2 days or something? or will my fish really eat that many?

Most reactions

Back