HELP!!! Why do all my livebearers have ick!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lazarusthefishboy10

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. For the past month my plates and swordtails have been getting sick one after the other. The ice goes on one fish, then to the other, and it won't go! I was wondering if you guys knew how to treat idk without expensive treatment chemicals. How do I defeat the ick??? HELP!!! Here are some pics:
IMG_0392.JPG
IMG_0391.JPG

I can't see any white spots but I can see clamped fins and excess mucous on their body. The excess mucous gives them a creamy white appearance over their body and fins.

Excess mucous is caused by poor water quality or something irritating the skin (possibly chemicals or parasites).

If the fish have small white spots that look like grains of salt, then post another picture that shows the spots.

Check your water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH?

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for at least 1 week or until we work out what is going on.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

----------------------
If they do have whitespot (I don't think they do), the safest treatment is to raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks. You won't need chemicals because the heat will kill the parasites.

Do not wait for water change. Tbh tomorrow it’ll be worse I’ve seen with my own fish from waiting a day... but yes do it now it’s an emergency if u don’t want the fish to suffer

I just did a water change! Fish are starting to look better :) I'll do a water test later and tell you what the results are! Sorry I couldn't get in touch with you, the internet wasn't working:mad:

Good! I'm glad they are looking better. Keep doing large daily water changes :)

Hey, this morning my male swordtail 100% shows sick or some sort of sickness! It's sword has white dots on it, and his tail has a huge clump of whiteness, as you can see closely in the pictures. I thought it had gone, but clearly not :( What is it and how do I treat it??? FAST!!! Thank you for the help!
IMG_E0410.JPG
IMG_0410.JPG

That could be fungus, the photo isn't clear enough to be sure. If it's fungus it is most likely to be a secondary illness, we need test results to get a better idea, along with tank size and stocking levels.
You could put it (and any other sick fish) in quarantine with a general cure medication. Keep up with the large daily water changes in the main tank.

Your camera is focusing on the plants, not the fish.
If you can take some more pictures and check them on your computer, then post a couple that clearly show the issue from both sides, it would help.

On a side note, you need a picture on the back of the tank to make the fish feel more secure.

Most reactions

Back