Help - Wanting to upgrade Juwel Bioflow One

BettaBeFish

Reaction score
Hi! Looking to get a Juwel Primo 70 which comes with Bioflow One filter but would like to either add ceramic media to it (but how?) or replace for a different internal filter that can house ceramic media also (but which one?). Any help / advice greatly appreciated, thank you

The Bioflow comes with 2 sponges in the chamber.
Take out filter number 1 and add the ceramics in place of them.
I think I'd add them at the top of the chamber so when cleaning time for the sponge comes around, just hold the filter/pump upside down and take the sponge out without disturbing the ceramics
---------------------------------------
HAVE YOU VOTED YET

Sponges are just as good a medium as ceramic. They are both mechanical and biological media.

The filter in the Primo 70 has two sponges. If you really want to use a ceramic medium, I would leave one sponge in there to catch the debris. The bottom sponge is first in the direction of water flow, so leave that one there and replace the upper one with a mesh bag full of a ceramic medium.

However, unlike the larger Juwel tanks, the filter seems to be held in place with suckers rather than silicone blobs, which makes it a lot easier to change the filter. You would need to buy a heater bracket if you did this as the heater fits inside the Juwel filter case.
The Eheim Biopower filters have sintered glass (substrat pro) rather than ceramics. The smallest one is suitable for 70 litres, and this has two baskets, one with sponge to collect the bits and one with substrat pro.

Thank you both! I’ll have a look into the eheim and also tweaking the juwel internal filter and see what may work best

Most reactions

Back