Help! Sick Betta

tibby25731

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I've been away for almost 3 weeks and in that time I asked my father in law to feed my betta. I made up portions of food for him in little pouches and told him when to feed. he did this, but he did say he just opened the pouches above the tank then tipped them in. Doing this likely means most of the food sank to the bottom, which isn't a big problem as my betta often lets food sink in the hopes I replace with more, then goes back for it later.... but I am thinking that over the course of 3 weeks there may have been some that got missed and it may have fouled the water.
Now, when i got home, his fins were a bit raggedy and he semed a bit jumpy, but I put this down to him being a bit depressed at being left alone and didn't worry as he was eating OK. However, over the last few days, the fins are more ragged, he has stopped feeding, and he is staying at the top of the tank in a corner. Every so often he kind of flicks out of the water too.
I've already done a large water change and added an indian almond leaf but this doesn't seem to have improved his symptoms at all. What do i do? I know bettas can't tolerate all medications... I have some methylene blue and some Interpet anti fungus and finrot, would either of those be ok to add? And if not, what do i need? I feel so bad for him, this has only happened because I wasn't here and I don't want him to die, it's horrible seeing him like this :(

You say you were gone for a while, When was the water last changed?
First thing I would do is a 50% water change today and again tomorrow, What water conditioner do you use?  If you have Seachem Prime add 2 drops per gallon to the tank, EG if you have a 5 gallon tank add 10 drops.  All your fish needs is lots of clean warm water and he will heal.

Medication is the last resort not the first.

Water was changed before I went, then 3 weeks later, I guess another water change now would be good too. He's really not good though and I have tested the water and all is ok, hence why i am thinking meds might be needed at this point...

Water was changed before I went, then 3 weeks later, I guess another water change now would be good too.
3 weeks without a water change,  The ammonia must have been high. I suspect your fish is suffering ammonia poisoning

How big is the tank.
Has it got a filter
Has it got a heater.

Please provide a close up photo of the fish if you can.

As well as the information Nick has asked for, could you post the actual numbers from your tests, please?

Tank is 15 litres with only him in there. It has a filter and a heater.
The tests i did showed absolutely nothing on ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. I did these after the water had been changed though as when i got home and saw his raggedy fins, first thing I did was change the water to help them heal. I've just done another ammonia test now and there's nothing.

I'm not sure how to upload pics here? Taken twon but they are not great. I have been keeping fish for years though and can tell you there is no sign of ick, velvet, slime, dropsy etc. He still has his colours though they don't seem quite so vibrant. I've shone a torch at him to check the fins and can't actually see any of the black or red I would expect from fin rot. I thought originally he had been sleeping too close to the filter inlet again, he did this when i first got him and caught his fins, they healed up fine and he didn't do it again.... He's just lethargic and disinterested, he usually swims over when he sees me and swim around a lot, he always loves his food but last night I just put 3 pellets in and he didn't even take any notice :(

Is it tail biting? And how often do you normally do a water change? Three weeks is way way way too long. You should do the 50% changes as suggested but also make sure you change at least 25-30% a week-maybe more. I think this is ammonia poisoning as well. Does he have any weird red stripes or color changes? 

I wondered about tail biting as he is not happy when he doesn't have company. I know the 3 weeks was too long but there was nobody ho could do this for me whilst I was away, my inlaws have strange ideas about fishkeeping and I just couldn't trust them. I'll just have to keep up with the water changes, he has perked up a little and ate last night so fingers crossed. No red stripes or colour changes apart from just looking a little duller.

Okay, I definitely feel you there :) I would do a full dosage of Prime if you haven't already to protect him if it is ammonia. Keep doing regular water changes and hopefully he'll perk up

Stressed bettas will also tear at their own fins.

Do you have any plants in the tank for the betta?  They really do best with some natural plants, even some floating plants.  Its just a nice thing and makes them feel more 'at home'.  Generally speaking, these fish naturally (though this fish is GENERATIONS! from any wild ancestors) come from heavily planted areas with a lot of vegetation.  Anubias is a great, easy plant for beginners.  They take very little effort and are extremely forgiving about water parameters in terms of hardness, pH, etc.  

I must be missing where the ammonia poisoning suggestion is coming from.  If this was a properly cycled tank before the OP left, then ammonia shouldn't be an issue, unless the food added was far too much and starting to break down in the tank.  Nitrate is more than likely the culprit.  Getting a false zero reading on nitrate is very easy to do with that test, unless Bottle #2 is really VIGOROUSLY shaken for a GOOD while - longer than the recommended 30-60 seconds.  Also, if it is not allowed the full 5 minutes in the tube to react before reading, it also gives a false zero.

Yeah, he has a plant, and a hidey hole, and an ornament so he has plenty that he usually likes to swim around.
The tank was properly cycled, yes, it's been cycled since last October with no problems. I'm gonna give the nitrate another check now with your recommendations... I think it's likely that more food than usual could have gone uneaten though usually betta pellets grow fluff on them if uneaten and I haven't found any....

Nitrate is about 40 :(

I guess I just need to keep up the water changes, reduce the light, stop feeding for a few days? I hope this all works out. Will remove him temporarily from the tank after work tomorrow and give the gravel a real good clean

I must be missing where the ammonia poisoning suggestion is coming from.
Lets see, its a 15 liter tank, the water hasn't been changed in 3 weeks, There is rotting food on the bottom of the tank.

NickAu said:

I must be missing where the ammonia poisoning suggestion is coming from.
Lets see, its a 15 liter tank, the water hasn't been changed in 3 weeks, There is rotting food on the bottom of the tank.

A lack of water changes doesn't cause ammonia spikes in cycled tanks.  But it does produce excess nitrate. 

tibby25731 said:
Yeah, he has a plant, and a hidey hole, and an ornament so he has plenty that he usually likes to swim around.
The tank was properly cycled, yes, it's been cycled since last October with no problems. I'm gonna give the nitrate another check now with your recommendations... I think it's likely that more food than usual could have gone uneaten though usually betta pellets grow fluff on them if uneaten and I haven't found any....

Nitrate is about 40
sad.png

I'd venture a guess that the nitrate was significantly higher than that... a lot higher actually.   That size tank, even with a single betta and filter, should be getting roughly 50% water changes weekly, the nitrate will build-up quickly.

Definitely around the 40 mark now but probably higher when i got back from holiday. i didn't know about shaking the bottles so at least I will do it right in future. Fingers crossed I can save my betta now. Thanks everyone for the help. :)

Most reactions

Back