Help! Sick Betta Fish

BettaFishGirl

Fishaholic
Reaction score
*I'm posting this on two different forums*

I had a Betta (His name is Muffin) in a 5 gallon with 5 neon tetras TEMPORARILY. I got them when I knew less about fishkeeping and got them according to the two websites that said it was fine. I know, not right. After I realized that they do NOT belong in a 5 gallon I was going to move them in a ten gallon that is being used by my Corn snake, but they were doing great and seemed super healthy and colorful, so I though it wasn't necessary to move them in right away. Wrong. wrong wrong wrong. I checked on them and everyone was doing fine, so I sit down to watch them and watch TV and I see it. The tetras were NIPPING my Bettas long fins. They did it twice, so I set up an emergency bowl for my Betta. It is around 2 gallons, so obviously he can't live in there forever. I put a java fern, a small anubias, a stem plant, and another plant I can't think of the name of. And his favorite fake Betta leaf. Also a heater. He is doing OK, I put a ghost shrimp in with him so he would have some stimulation, and his fins are pretty bad. I'm guessing fin rot, but what should I use to treat it? I've never dealt with this with my other Bettas so I have no idea what to use. Or will it heal on its own with extra clean water?
I don't know what to do with the tetras though for the 5 gallon. They look good but they are nipping my Bettas fins so I assume they are bored and/or stressed. I'm stuck. Sorry for the long post.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much

Attachments

• IMG_20230619_212412736~2.jpg
    IMG_20230619_212412736~2.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20230619_212434201~2.jpg
    IMG_20230619_212434201~2.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20230619_212437472~2.jpg
    IMG_20230619_212437472~2.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 23
Tetras are nippers, it’s just their nature. The betta’s fins will grow back if you keep his water super clean, change it every day using conditioner to neutralize chlorine and chloramine in the new water, and make sure new water is at the same temperature not to shock him. You can heat up some water and add a little, mix and check the thermometer until it’s within 2 degrees of what he was in. It doesn’t look like fin rot to me but physical damage from the nipping. If it was fin rot, daily water changes would still be the best treatment. Maybe a pinch of non-iodized salt in the water, dissolve it first.

*I'm posting this on two different forums*

I had a Betta (His name is Muffin) in a 5 gallon with 5 neon tetras TEMPORARILY. I got them when I knew less about fishkeeping and got them according to the two websites that said it was fine. I know, not right. After I realized that they do NOT belong in a 5 gallon I was going to move them in a ten gallon that is being used by my Corn snake, but they were doing great and seemed super healthy and colorful, so I though it wasn't necessary to move them in right away. Wrong. wrong wrong wrong. I checked on them and everyone was doing fine, so I sit down to watch them and watch TV and I see it. The tetras were NIPPING my Bettas long fins. They did it twice, so I set up an emergency bowl for my Betta. It is around 2 gallons, so obviously he can't live in there forever. I put a java fern, a small anubias, a stem plant, and another plant I can't think of the name of. And his favorite fake Betta leaf. Also a heater. He is doing OK, I put a ghost shrimp in with him so he would have some stimulation, and his fins are pretty bad. I'm guessing fin rot, but what should I use to treat it? I've never dealt with this with my other Bettas so I have no idea what to use. Or will it heal on its own with extra clean water?
I don't know what to do with the tetras though for the 5 gallon. They look good but they are nipping my Bettas fins so I assume they are bored and/or stressed. I'm stuck. Sorry for the long post.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much
they are tetras. tetras nip. Betta can't go in with them.

I would suggest the tetras get the 10 gallon tank and the betta and his new shrimp friend get the 5 gallon. You will still want to do 50% water changes daily for the 5 gallon as his fins heal to prevent a secondary infection, then you can decrease to every other day, then see how it goes with twice a week. If his tail fin starts shrinking (tail rot), you need more water changes. If that’s too much, you could give him a 10 gallon too, it’s easier to maintain a larger tank because the water quality doesn’t fluctuate as much. Petco near me has 10 gallon tanks for $12.99, but then you need a bigger heater. I would do a sponge filter with a little air pump to it. It’s cheaper than other types, works well, and won’t create rapid currents that stress the betta.

Thank you for the info. I was thinking of moving the tetras in the 10g, but I will have to find a bigger tank for my corn snake, and set that up. Anyway, fish forum, not snake forum. I do have to keep in in the 2 gallon bowl since Id have to set up everyone's tank and I am really busy at the moment, soo. He won't be in there forever, but maybe a month. He seemed to be doing better this morning, not hiding all the time.

Update on Muffin:
He not doing great. It seems that little burst of energy earlier didn't last long and not he is quite lethargic. I tried feeding him my flakes, pellets, and a bloodworm, and he didn't eat any of them. He is always at the top of the tank with the top of his head partially out of the water.
Water parameters:
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:5
pH:7.3
I think it might just be old age, because he can't see very well, and is showing other signs of old age. My previous was showing these signs and sadly passed a few weeks after showing these signs due to old age. Any other help is appreciated, I will keep doing 50% water changes everyday and hope he bounces back, but he might just be an old man.
Any extra help is appreciated 🩷
Thank you

Most reactions

Back