Help Please

Shooter

Reaction score
Hi, I have a dwarf flame gourami who has been fine for the past 2 months that I've had him, but now he's suddenly become very pale and listless. Found him laying on his side on the bottom of the tank and thought he was gone, but then realized he was breathing, albeit slowly. A bit later he was up at about midpoint in the tank, but really looking ill.

I cannot give you all the water parameters because after doing a bunch of testing over the past weekend, I realized that some of my testing supplies are no longer registering accurate amounts. I have a 26 gal bowfront with said gourami, several various tetras (flame, lemon, neon), some harlequin raspboras, and some cherry barbs. Everyone getting along just fine. One thing I do know is that the pH is through the roof. Something about our water here that the pH goes up to like 8.6 - 8.8. However, most of my fish seem to have acclimated just fine and seem healthy. I do not have an RO/DI, my neighbor has an RO, but even after running water through it, after a couple of days sitting the pH rose to 8.0. Let's see, what else...oh, I did about a 25% water change about 5 days ago when I moved the tank from the basement to the living room. After the move I noted that I had a neon who was very pale as well and I lost him. Temp stays at about 78 degrees. They get fed once a day. Everybody else in the tank is extremely colorful and active and eating well. Any thoughts for me? (will be getting an RO/DI fairly soon as I will be starting up a saltwater reef tank soon)

Firstly, is your tap water the same pH as your tank water as you may have something in your tank that is buffering the pH and causing it to go up. Fluctuations are more deadly than a steady but high pH so just leave it for now.
If the problem is indeed something to do with an object in the tank buffering, try to identify it (rocks, gravel, shells are the usual culprits) take that out but be aware that a sudden decrease may kill your fish so do it (take it out I mean) about a day after a water change and then do gradual partial water changes over the next few weeks until the pH is equal to that of your tank water again.
Doing this while your fish is sick, however, will only cause stress so leave hings as they are for the time being.

Now about the disease. You mentioned a neon died and both neons and dwarf gouramies are known for being fragile fish which is a great shame considering their beauty and popularity.

Recently, I have seen a huge increase in the number of dwarfs dying of all sorts of disease so I'll warn you - you need to take drastic action if the fish is to survive.

If the only physical symptoms are fading it is likely dropsy. Hopefuly at an early stage. You must treat asap with antibiotics or meds specificaly for dropsy - use strong ones as otherwise the fish doesn't stand a chance. If you can also isolate it you can treat the main tank with something weaker so they don't need to deal with harsh treatment if they don't need it. Also add salt (not too much) as you don't appear to have scaless fish. Daily water changes (if the medication alows for it) in an isolation tank can be surprisingly beneficial so do them as often as you can. The temp. is ok as it is. Make sure the fish is stressed out as little as possible so give it lots of hiding places, including floating plants (fake with suction cups will do - or even the lid off a margarine container!) if possible and make sure none of the other fish (if you can't isolate) are harassing it. Is it eating well? Make sure it eats adequately. If the fish stops eating there's little left you can do but while it's eating there's a chance of recovery. Is there any sign of scales sticking out? I seriously hope not as at this stage the fish is usualy beyond treatment. Keep in mind that dropsy is an internal infection so adding antibiotics to the food is useful and try feeding peas occasionaly as this can help a little too. Good luck!

I will look at him more closely to check for any of the specifics you have mentioned, however, I do know that he has made no effort to eat.

Thanks.

I read in your other post that you do have a hospital tank - I'd put him in it immediately and get some live foods to tempt him into eating again. Then start treatment s soon as possible ans add some salt... good luck!

I went up and got him to come out where I could see him better (nicely, of course, I had been letting him stay to the back under cover so he would be more calm and was trying to see him from there), he is actually much more bloated looking than I originally thought. Actually does have a few scale sticking out near his gills.

Then I am almost certain he has dropsy and you have to medicate immediately. Bloating, loss of color and pineconed scales are all symptoms. Taking him out will keep the disease from spreading which usualy happens if tankmates eat the dead fish.

Most reactions

Back