Help Please

wayne1983

Reaction score
Hi , im new and am interested in keeping some tropical fish, but i need to know 1st of all, whats the small little like a light, sort of illuminous blue colour?. 2nd, what fish can you keep with some other fish, what can you keep and not keep with certain fish?
and 3rd because im new i want to keep it simpleish and basic, but affective, id like to know what would something like this be like, thank you. (they also do these in 60 litres too) smile.gif

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0350901.htm

I wouldn't go for a biorb as the filtration etc isn't great and they are hard to clean and maintain.

I would go for a standard rectangular tank. Get the biggest you can afford/have the space for.

A rena or juwel tank comes as a complete kit (filter, heater, lights) so everything is there that you need. My advice would be to go to your LFS (local Fish Store) and have a good luck at the selection of tanks available.

Then i would do some research on how to cycle a tank (have a look at the pinned threads). Then we can start to think about stocking the tank ;)

The fish you are talking about may be the neon tetra.

Let us know how you get on!

hi, sorry for having 2 threads going here :blush: , anyway, thanks for the advice, i saw the like 'bowl' style tank, and thought it looked ok, but if like you say is hard to clean and maintain then maybe not, i dont have a really big space to be honest, im totally new to it all , so am basically just learning for now. :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/24-Rena-Tropical-Aqu...oQQcmdZViewItem

what about this 1, is this any good?, :)

(p.s could my threads be merged please?)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The person said:
"Please note, this item is for collection only due to transport breakages"
So maybe that wouldn't be the best choice :D

I suggest you try to get a tank at least 20 gallons. If your space is extremely limited, try a corner tank. I don't recommend fish bowls or hexagonal tanks because they don't have much surface area.

Right now, the bigger the tank the better.

The person said:
"Please note, this item is for collection only due to transport breakages"
So maybe that wouldn't be the best choice :D

I suggest you try to get a tank at least 20 gallons. If your space is extremely limited, try a corner tank. I don't recommend fish bowls or hexagonal tanks because they don't have much surface area.

Right now, the bigger the tank the better.
yeah noticed it said collection :D , that 1 though would probably be the only size i could accomodate due to space restriction :no: , what about when you clean your tank, how does that work?, (i mean the fish not the cleaning!) :lol: . p.s the pic you have is the fish i meant, :good:

if you want a small tank, i would recommend a betta..they (i think) need a minimum of 10 gallon. if you read up on these siamese fighting fish, they really are awesome fish for the smaller tank.

Yes, that's them. They can go in quite a small tank, 5 gallons or so, being slow swimmers and able to breathe air. The one thing about them is they are highly territorial, at least the males are, so on the whole not ideal community fish. If you have limited space, my suggestion would be either:

a 5 gallon tank with a single betta (some people recommend even smaller tanks)

or

a 60 ltr (15 Us gallons, 12 UK gallons), housing a small community of tetras and/or small livebearers and/or corydoras and/or khuulie loaches and/or shrimps and/or small barbs (like cherry barbs). A gang of female bettas would also be a possibility. A tank like this would be about 24 inches by 12, and could house about 7-8 2 inch fish when fully mature. You should aim at getting fish that are no bigger than 2-3 inches for a tank this length.

Most reactions

Back