HELP// painted platty white spot on tail

Connershawzz

Mbuna lover
Reaction score
Woke up this morning to my painted platty having a white spot on her tail (pics below) , it’s raised and pretty big. Everyone else is fine in the tank , she shares a tank with 4 other live bearers (ones a juvenile) and a pleco.

My wife just got the pleco for her tank maybe a week ago. Could it have brought something ? It looks fine , and has been eating fine.

Water perimeters are good , cleaning day is tomorrow. (Once a week)

I know salt is probably the answer, I’ve had to do it before in a my other tanks a few months ago.

That being said , is there anyway I can just give her a salt bath so i don’t gotta put it in the whole tank and have to slowly dilute it? Shes one of my wife’s favorite she has , so I’ll do whatever I have to , I’d just prefer not having the whole tank salted.

I think I’ve read somewhere that salt effects pleco differently.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4235.jpeg
    IMG_4235.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4240.jpeg
    IMG_4240.jpeg
    256.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4242.jpeg
    IMG_4242.jpeg
    348.7 KB · Views: 21
It could be a single white spot parasite that got introduced with the new fish last week, or it could be a sore. Monitor it for a few days and see how it changes. If the fish get more white spots like that then treat them for white spot. You can use heat or chemicals but not both. Heat treatment involves raising the water temperature to 30C/ 86F for 2 weeks or at least 1 week after all the white dots have gone.
Chemical treatment is done with copper or Malachite Green. Copper kills shrimp and snails and if you overdose it kills fish too. Malachite Green is a carcinogen but is the main ingredient in most white spot treatments. I prefer 30C over chemicals. But wait and see how it goes over the next couple of days before doing anything.

More information about white spot can be found at the following link. Post 1 and 16 are worth a read.

It could be a single white spot parasite that got introduced with the new fish last week, or it could be a sore. Monitor it for a few days and see how it changes. If the fish get more white spots like that then treat them for white spot. You can use heat or chemicals but not both. Heat treatment involves raising the water temperature to 30C/ 86F for 2 weeks or at least 1 week after all the white dots have gone.
Chemical treatment is done with copper or Malachite Green. Copper kills shrimp and snails and if you overdose it kills fish too. Malachite Green is a carcinogen but is the main ingredient in most white spot treatments. I prefer 30C over chemicals. But wait and see how it goes over the next couple of days before doing anything.

More information about white spot can be found at the following link. Post 1 and 16 are worth a read.
I like the heat idea I’ll do that in a few days if it doesn’t clear , thanks Colin

Every single plant, fish or crustacean that will be newly introduced to a tank "can" be a potential carrier of a disease. No matter how good they look or seem.

Most reactions

Back