Help Needed !

LJEV

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a stunning blue fighting fish in my main tank. I`ve had him for about 3 months but this morning he seems to be very tired and hes holding his fins very tight to his body. I`ve since done a water change but hes still behaving the same, none of the other fish are showing any symptoms. All water levels are pretty much perfect. I also have a fighter in one of my other tanks so I put the sick fighter in a floating baby trap and put it in with the other fighter. When they saw each other Phoenix my red fighter flared all his fins and his gills but the blue on just flared his gills ( no fins )I`ve now put him back in the main tank and hes just hovering about. It would be upsetting to loose this fish as my 4 year old boy bought it with his own money and talks to it every day. Any advise would be great.
ps no fish have been added to the tank in the last month the only addition is a piece of drift wood for my clown plec which was soaked for 24 hours before putting it in.

what other fish are in the tank that your fighter was originally in?

I have a 125l tank, well planted, with red tail black shark, 2 cory sterbai, 2 rasbora scissor tails,5 neons, 5 forktail rainbows, 2 honey gouramis, 3 angels and a clown plec but as I said the last fish added was the plec about 3 weeks ago and they all get allong fine.

I have a 125l tank, well planted, with red tail black shark, 2 cory sterbai, 2 rasbora scissor tails,5 neons, 5 forktail rainbows, 2 honey gouramis, 3 angels and a clown plec but as I said the last fish added was the plec about 3 weeks ago and they all get allong fine.

Im wondering if you might be overstocked there?

My betta does this too, just his gills. :/

What type of betta is it? I know veil tails can't really flare there fins like crowns and such.

Do you think? all of the fish are quite juvenile only the angels, shark and scissortails are over 1" there about 2" its only 20 fish in a 125l tank. I thought i`d be ok with this.
I dont mean this to sound confrontational in any way but reading what you have in your tank you list 30 fish in a 180l. ( i`m only assuming the 180 holds 180l i dont actually know ) also do you think re homing any fish would save the fighter

Do you think? all of the fish are quite juvenile only the angels, shark and scissortails are over 1" there about 2" its only 20 fish in a 125l tank. I thought i`d be ok with this.
Definitely overstocked long term, some of those fish are just not suitable for the size of tank you have. Also a number of the species you mention are well known for beating the crap out Bettas.
I dont mean this to sound confrontational in any way but reading what you have in your tank you list 30 fish in a 180l. ( i`m only assuming the 180 holds 180l i dont actually know ) also do you think re homing any fish would save the fighter
Yes, but from a quick look, those are all small, community fish.

If other fish are the problem, then removing them will help.

What are your water parameters?

woah.. the problem isnt your water... its that some of the tankmates are pretty much an enemy of the fighter :S angels will get jealous and fin nip .. so that will be harassing it which could cause your fighter to be stressed :/
i suggest rehoming some of your fish :(
plus the shark might be the one that could have harmed you fighter :S
sorry

Definitely overstocked long term, some of those fish are just not suitable for the size of tank you have. Also a number of the species you mention are well known for beating the crap out Bettas.
Yes, but from a quick look, those are all small, community fish.

If other fish are the problem, then removing them will help.

What are your water parameters?
Hi Kat

Which fish would you say are not suitable for my tank ? Whenever I buy a fish I alway ask what the expected adult size is and the only fish I thought might get too big would be the scissor tails ( told about 6" ) and the angels, whitch I regret buying as they`ve been nothing but trouble.
Which fish are known for atacking bettas ( your going to say the angels arn`t you ! )
and I dont mean to appear thick but by water parameters do you mean test results or dimensions of tank ?
No2=0 No3=10 PH=7.5 CL2=0 tank size 800mm x 400mm x 500mm

woah.. the problem isnt your water... its that some of the tankmates are pretty much an enemy of the fighter :S angels will get jealous and fin nip .. so that will be harassing it which could cause your fighter to be stressed :/
sorry

See this annoys me
Whenever I buy a new fish I always have a list of the fish I have in the tank to show the sales person. The fighter was one of the first fish I bought and the only fish any of them have said might cause a problem would be the angels but they said as they are juveniles they would be fine. The shark (which I also love) will be no trouble at all as long as I don`t get another shark, and in fairness he is one of the quietest fish in the tank.
I think the next time I buy a fish I`ll ask on here first.

sorry

See this annoys me
Whenever I buy a new fish I always have a list of the fish I have in the tank to show the sales person. The fighter was one of the first fish I bought and the only fish any of them have said might cause a problem would be the angels but they said as they are juveniles they would be fine. The shark (which I also love) will be no trouble at all as long as I don`t get another shark, and in fairness he is one of the quietest fish in the tank.

yeah i would ask on here first :)
the person to ask is 'Wills' he knows his stuff !!
but if you love your angels that much you can just get rid of the fighter... but if you want to keep both you either have to buy another smaller tank or watch your poor fighter die :(

sorry

See this annoys me

yeah i would ask on here first :)
the person to ask is 'Wills' he knows his stuff !!
but if you love your angels that much you can just get rid of the fighter... but if you want to keep both you either have to buy another smaller tank or watch your poor fighter die :(
small betta tank it is then. I cant just watch him die. The pain is ive got 3 tanks but the second ones got another fighter in it and the others got fry in it, I know which one he`d rather go in but im not sacrificing all my fry to him. Would you say if I used tank water to fill it and some media from my other filter he could go straight in or would it need a small cycle?

erm.. well i guess it would work because... it has the same tank water and some of the media which will give it a good head start .. yeah that should be fine :)i would leave it for maybe a day or two and leave him in the little breeding box thing. so it does have a little cycle :)
good luck with keeping him healthy :D

actually, its 26 :fun: , 2 of those are in a hospital tank too, and one is being rehomed shortly. all the others dont grow any bigger than 2.5-3", unlike yours ;)
your poor betta could be getting beaten up by any of your fish. you defo need to get him a new tank! im sure you'll do the best you can for him, especially now you're getting advice here :good:

actually, its 26 :fun: , 2 of those are in a hospital tank too, and one is being rehomed shortly. all the others dont grow any bigger than 2.5-3", unlike yours ;)
your poor betta could be getting beaten up by any of your fish. you defo need to get him a new tank! im sure you'll do the best you can for him, especially now you're getting advice here :good:
Yes new betta tank as soon as shop opens tomorrow hopefully he`ll still be around to go in it.
It seems a common opinion that some of my fish are going to get too big for my tank, but which ones ? as when I bought them (except for the angels which I knew would get big but was nieve when I got them ) I was told they would be ok.
Which fish are going to get too big

Most reactions

Back