Help - Micro Sized Worms And Snails In My Cycling Tank!

• Thread starter Deleted member 107737
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 107737

Hi All,

There are micro sized snails and worms in my tank............. how did they get there??

I would take a photo but my camera wont zoom in so small (very small) they are that white colour which you get when something is so small.

How can i get rid of them?? I have nearly finished my cycle and now they have appeared.

Please help,

Thanks,

Dave

Strange to hear you have worms. Where did you get your substrate?

well i got my substrate from the aquatic shop (sand) and plants from aquatic shop ( 5 live plants) and one thing which may be a contributer possible is filter squeeze from aquatic shop???

How can i get rid of them??

Thanks.

dave

I take care of my snail problems with assassin snails. Worms can be a different issue but they often die off due to a lack of nutrients if you wait to put fish in. How tenacious they are really depends on just what kind of worm, for example flatworms tend to survive better.

i am currently doing a fishless cycle on the tank. first 2 weeks i was ffeding fish flakes into the tank, then a guy said " no way dont do that because you will get all sort of bacteria etc". So ive been adding ammonia liquid form for the last week. I keep cleaning the glass daily now because they appear on the glass.

what a start hey..... no fish yet and already got dodgy rodents in my tank lol....

brownd95 said:
what a start hey..... no fish yet and already got dodgy rodents in my tank lol....
 Too funny! Cycling with the ammonia also means those worms won't have food so you should start to see them decline. Keep an eye on them and see if the population decreases. Some worms are beneficial, some are parasites, some are problamatic, so if you could post a nice macro shot of a worm that might help to ID them.

Snails I don't worry about in a FW tank but worms can be an issue.

The worms can be a common thing during cycling and aren't really anything to be worried about. They'll likely be eaten once you put fish in.

chances are they came with your plants.....

i always recommend a quarantine tank for plants for 2 weeks, you never know whats going to show up

Hi All,

Ok, ive tried taking photos but damn things are so small just cant get a single shot. White worms i dont mind so much because one ive got fish in im sure they will make a great meal.

The snails on the other hand are a bigger problem...... so far just on one ceramic pot ive got in the tank I can count maybe 20 mini snails...

I was told to put in a assasin snail. but surely as im cycling with ammonia, will this kill it??
Thanks,

Dave

I would wait until it's done cycling to put in a snail. Even so they may be too small and passed up by the assassin. Mine generally leave tiny snails alone.

Most reactions

Back