Help Me Stock My 54 Gallon Corner

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

eduller

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I just can't decide what I want to do. I have an empty 54 gallon that I will be starting to cycle, hopefully this weekend. Fishless cycle. The tank is pretty tall, 23 inches. I will have a ton of caves, and it will be moderately planted.

I don't know how to stock it. I kind of love glofish, so I was thinking of a big school of glofish with some random other things. But I have also just begun my love affair with bettas, and I don't think bettas and glofish go together. I already have 2 mystery snails that need to go into the tank, so I can't get anything that will eat snails.

1 - 1 male betta with some nice peaceful schooling fish - some cories, maybe harlequin rasboras, a peacock gudgeon? what else? I have a male betta at home already in his own 10G tank who is very peaceful. He has had a couple of random tankmates out of necessity (and currently has the 2 snails, which are actually very big and somehow super fast and active for snails, antennae waving all over the place), and he never bothers anyone.

2 - small (5-7) female betta sorority with same as above? I would more heavily plant the tank if I were to go with this option.

3 - 10 glofish/danio combo with the cories, rasboras or mollies, gudgeon, and whatever else because no betta to worry about eating everyone? I love the zippy little danios.

I'm really pretty new to fishkeeping, and I don't know a huge variety of fish. I like the idea of the male betta as kind of the show-off fish of the tank or I like the idea of a sorority. I do have a spare 10G tank that if the betta/bettas were having issues, they could be evicted, which is why I would keep the sorority small. OR I could do a HUGE betta sorority with just the snails or maybe still the cories. So many choices. How do you narrow it down? I have a really good LFS with a good selection and good knowledge. Do you all just go to the store and get what catches your eye?

I'm not sure how well the peacock gudgeon and betta would work together as the peacock is very colorful.

At a loss right now for suggestions, sorry :C Hopefully will think of something and comment again later!

I didn't think it would work either, but a handy google search assured me that other people have done it successfully. Maybe because a gudgeon is just a totally different shape than a betta? And we all know google knows all. 

I'm going to totally obsess about this. The breeder I was thinking of getting the female bettas from raises them with endlers and endler fry, so maybe they're a better bet to keep in a community. They're already used to other fish around.

Personally I like option three.  Lots of schools and only a few bigger fish look really nice! 
good.gif

What's the length/width of your tank?  As far as I've read Zebra Danios/Glofish should be in a 3' long tank because they are so active!

A Betta sorority would look nice, too.  A heavily planted tank with female Bettas, Cories, and Harlequin Rasboras would be a beautiful setup.

Just remember to research all of your options before settling on one.  Write down the requirements of each fish species, and find out if they're compatible before buying any!  :)

A 54 gallon sorority i think can have like 30 or so females, and HEAVILY planted, but maybe some sorority experts can come along and help with that.

I like option 3 to, no aggression and schooling fish so you dont need to worry about much. I wouldnt do the mollies though so you dont have to worry about the fry swimming around, or producing extra un-needed ammonia.

Google isnt always reliable because all it does is take you to other websites... say it takes you to Yahoo answers, your not gonna get good info.

I would just leave the male betta on his own in the 10 gallon if i were you...

For someone new to fish keeping less than 30 Bettas is probably better to start with :p I'd say around 10 if your heart is set on that.  Otherwise definitely go with option 3.

I agree with leaving out the mollies.  

Search on the forum, ask questions and read books! Not all the aquarium books you'll find are very good, one of my favorites is "The Complete Fishkeeper" though it's over 20 years old.

Most reactions

Back