Help Me Identify This Guppy Strain

faerielfire

Reaction score
Hi there, brand new to the forum so I'm sorry if this isn't the place. However, if it is, I have a question I was hoping I could get help with:

3 months ago I had a blue fancy guppy female give birth to a number of babies. Curiously enough, only the females survived. They seem to have a 'dalmation' sort of coloration, but I'm not seeing this coloration in any of the guppy color/strain guides. Any idea what they're called? Thanks!

ORGPA.jpg

k6JQx.jpg

FcbSr.jpg

I have platy in my tank and it sure does look like a platy to me too.

It looks like a pregnant platy or prgnant dalmation molly :hey:

I have platy in my tank and it sure does look like a platy to me too.

Man I'm so confused. I looked at dalmation platy pictures and they really do look like that. But could they actually be normal dalmation mollies born from a lyretail? Is that possible?

Platys, Mollys, Sword-tails and Sailfins can all interbreed. Some people have managed to breed guppys with some of those as well. All Dalmation Mollys are, are black Mollys that have been interbred until they lose most of their black and become speckled/spotted. My sister and I noticed this with our Mollys in our fish pond years ago - after several generations, they lose most of their black. Very likely your Molly is a throw back to the Lyre-tail's original genetics.

Dalmation molly

Platys, Mollys, Sword-tails and Sailfins can all interbreed. Some people have managed to breed guppys with some of those as well. All Dalmation Mollys are, are black Mollys that have been interbred until they lose most of their black and become speckled/spotted. My sister and I noticed this with our Mollys in our fish pond years ago - after several generations, they lose most of their black. Very likely your Molly is a throw back to the Lyre-tail's original genetics.
Mollies cannot interbreed with Swordtails and Platys. There have been claims that Mollies HAVE interbred with Guppies, but not often. Swordtails and Platys, however can interbreed with each other.

Awesome, thanks guys! Looks like I have some dalmation mollies on my hands! I appreciate the help =)

That young fish in the pictures looks like a dalmatian molly to me. The shape is wrong for a platy or a guppy. Since mollies can carry sperm packets for up to 6 months, it would not be unusual for a molly that came from a mixed molly tank to drop a fry that has the dalmatian color pattern.

As already noted, the molly is not dropping fry by crossing with platies or swordtails. Those cannot breed successfully with a molly although they will try, as many common livebearers will try to breed with anything.

That young fish in the pictures looks like a dalmatian molly to me. The shape is wrong for a platy or a guppy. Since mollies can carry sperm packets for up to 6 months, it would not be unusual for a molly that came from a mixed molly tank to drop a fry that has the dalmatian color pattern.

As already noted, the molly is not dropping fry by crossing with platies or swordtails. Those cannot breed successfully with a molly although they will try, as many common livebearers will try to breed with anything.
+1 on that. My male platy has recently taken up his affections on my Albino BN :blink:

Most reactions

Back