Help Me Before I Kill Another Betta!

ray1970

Reaction score
Here's the story... I got my first betta a few weeks ago and he never would eat and about a week later he was dead.... decided I would try one more betta so I bought another one.... after giving him about an hour to acclimate to his new home I dropped in three Top Fin Betta Bits... he ate them all... the next day i dropped in two more Betta Bits... he wouldn't touch them.... the next day I bought some frozen blood worms and thawed a small amount and placed them one at a time in his aquarium.... he seemed a little reluctant but eventually he ate a few of them.... for the next several days he wouldn't eat anything.... I finally got him to eat a few more blood worms but now he hasn't eaten anything for nearly a week..... he still seems happy and swims around quite a bit and always comes to the front of the aquarium when he sees me but i am worried he might starve to death if he doesn't eat soon.... my local pet stores don't seem to have any live foods... what do I do to get him to eat?.... please help me so he doesn't die... thank you in advance for any advice.

P.S.- I don't seem to have any trouble keeping my tropical fish or my goldfish alive and healthy so why am I having trouble keeping a betta happy?

Hi

Need to know some things to help you -

Tank size and is it cycled?
Heated?
Filtered?
Temperature?
Water stats - Ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte
Tank mates?

:)

I will do the water tests tomorrow and will post.... last time I checked the PH was 7.2 and the temp is about 70 degrees.... i know the temp is probably a little lower than the fish likes but he is by himself in a small aquarium that does not have a heater.

Hi

Need to know some things to help you -

Tank size and is it cycled?
Heated?
Filtered?
Temperature?
Water stats - Ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte
Tank mates?

:)

tank size 1.5 gallon.... set up with water from my well established tropical aquarium.... I was assuming this would make my new tank "cycled"

not heated

not filtered but aerated

water temp appx. 70 degrees

will test water tomorow

no tank mates

thank you!

I will do the water tests tomorrow and will post.... last time I checked the PH was 7.2 and the temp is about 70 degrees.... i know the temp is probably a little lower than the fish likes but he is by himself in a small aquarium that does not have a heater.

You're right, thats too low. Needs to be more like 80 really. They dont like it cold.

In his tank, is the water dechlorinated?

Is it filtered? Or are you doing regular water changes?

fish has been in his tank three weeks now.... I try to do water changes every three or four days... change approximately 25%

You posted while i was posting lol

You need to be doing 50% water change minimum every day. And maybe 100% every 4 days or so. The ammonia will build up very quickly in a 1.5 gal. Thats why he's not eating cus he is suffering from ammonia poisoning.

You really need a heater and try and get him in something bigger.

Just for info - its not the water that gets cycled, its the filter material. Water from a mature tank holds very little beneficial bacteria if any.

Just for info - its not the water that gets cycled, its the filter material. Water from a mature tank holds very little beneficial bacteria if any.

Thank you for the help...... will try to do more frequent water changes and will change 50%.... I really don't have room for another large aquarium which is why I got the betta in the first place.... I thought I could manage to keep one fish happy in a smaller aquarium.... I wonder how he would do in my tropical aquarium with my other fish?

Can you put a divider in your tropical aquarium so he has his own section of it at the end? is it big enough for that? because if you cant get another tank / heater thats probably your best bet

Thank you for the help...... will try to do more frequent water changes and will change 50%.... I really don't have room for another large aquarium which is why I got the betta in the first place.... I thought I could manage to keep one fish happy in a smaller aquarium.... I wonder how he would do in my tropical aquarium with my other fish?

5 gallons minimum isn't remotely large or extravagant . It can fit on a desk, sideboard, worktop, small table, chest of drawers... there are many places a 5 gal will fit as long as you can get to plugs either directly or with an extension. Even a 5 gal plastic storage tub will do until a tank can be obtained.

Small tanks are HARDER to keep than large ones because in the small amount of water , toxins and waste will build up very quickly. These fish are also tropical , just the same as your other tropical fish, and need a heater set to 27 degrees C minimum. A warm room won't keep the temperature stable.

You also need a filter. They may be anabantoids but this simply means they have the ability to survive for a while longer than other fish when oxygen is low. They basically require the same as any common gourami ( also anabantoids ) which also means filtration. Many don't like the current produced by filters, but you don't need to worry about this because Sponge Filters do not create a current. You need a stable tank environment just as with any other fish.

He will most likely not get along with your other fish.
What are they?

black fin tetras, rosey barbs, red eye tetras, and neon tetras

Can you put a divider in your tropical aquarium so he has his own section of it at the end? is it big enough for that? because if you cant get another tank / heater thats probably your best bet

I didn't think about that..... my tropical aquarium is a 30 gallon.

5 gallons minimum isn't remotely large or extravagant . It can fit on a desk, sideboard, worktop, small table, chest of drawers... there are many places a 5 gal will fit as long as you can get to plugs either directly or with an extension. Even a 5 gal plastic storage tub will do until a tank can be obtained.

Small tanks are HARDER to keep than large ones because in the small amount of water , toxins and waste will build up very quickly. These fish are also tropical , just the same as your other tropical fish, and need a heater set to 27 degrees C minimum. A warm room won't keep the temperature stable.

You also need a filter. They may be anabantoids but this simply means they have the ability to survive for a while longer than other fish when oxygen is low. They basically require the same as any common gourami ( also anabantoids ) which also means filtration. Many don't like the current produced by filters, but you don't need to worry about this because Sponge Filters do not create a current. You need a stable tank environment just as with any other fish.

Thanks for all the advice and opinions! Believe it or not I really don't have room for anything larger than what I have in the room I have it in. I guess if I can't manage such a small aquarium properly I guess I just won't have one at all.

If you can make a divide in your 30 gal, it could work. It would need to be tall enough so that he couldn't jump over it, or vice versa . Most people add dividers when the tank is empty/dry using silicone to attatch the runners for plastic mesh dividers ect, but this isn't really possible with a running tank.

What you could do, is get a sheet of clear perspex cut to fit , drill small holes all over at regular intervals to allow the water to flow in and out, and push it down into the gravel to divide a section off. Then push the gravel back to hold it in place

Bear in mind, the perspex would have to be a snug fit at the edges so the fish can't squeeze through/around or try to, and injure himself. And also a tight fit will stop it toppling or moving . Rocks either side of the divide can hold it in place even more ( which can be hidden with plants if you don't like the look of that )

Most reactions

Back