Help ID-ing this loach?

squirrelrabbits

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Here a my two new loaches... The one on the right is a weather loach, and my LFS calls the guy on the left a "dwarf sand loach." When I google "dwarf sand loach" though, I get no hits. Does anyone know what kind of loach this is?

Attachments

• dwarf_and_weather_loach.jpg
    dwarf_and_weather_loach.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 37
could be a boneo border sand loach,
or similar, hard to tell from that pic

Its hard to make a positive ID as the fish can only be seen from a distance but I'd agree with The-Wolf, most likely to be a Schistura mahnerti (Burmese-border sand loach), I have noticed there seem to be a few coming in at the moment.

Thanks for your replies. I have decided it is as some of you suggest a Burmese-border sand loach. When I first brought hiom home from the LFS, he had no red on his tail whatsoever and that threw me off. After a few days though, he is gaining color in his tail, and lo and behold it is the red of the Burmese-border sand loach. Thanks for your help!

taken from fishbase
Schistura mahnerti can be distinguished by its color pattern with up to 17 bars, the anterior ones being vertically split, the posterior ones widely spaced, as wide or wider than interspaces and not forming a stripe.

however there are lots of Schistura species, so you may want to check them all out to best match the one you have.
long list

Most reactions

Back