Help I Think I Made A Mistake

FishNewbie

Reaction score
Hello all. I thought my tank was slowly cycling things seemed to me moving along however, I did a water change on Saturday because my Amm was going over 1.0. I was getting reading for Amm, Nitrites .25-.50 and Nitrates at a little over 5.0 maybe around 7.0. I did not add anything to the water but food, I added stress coat which is suppose to be a water conditioner when making water changes, and I add it to the jug i carry the water with. So the water is treated before being added to the tank. Now I have only a reading for Amm about .50. Did I kill off the bacteria some how? I ordered some Bio spira which should come in on Wednesday. I thought that might help restablize the tank. Maybe I made too many water changes. I did them every time the Amm went over 1.0. which was daily for a while. can anyone offer any advice.

When i cycle a tank i dont do any water changes till the cycle is over. Once complete i do about a 70% change then test again. If its all still ok the next day id consider it ready for fish.

Read the Sticky on cycling.

You replaced the water from your tank with water that doesnt have ammonia. Makes sense really.

Most reactions

Back