Help! He Really Won't Stop Flaring!

Klover

Reaction score
Right! Well, he never flared for me before. Ever. Could care less about his reflection. Suddenly, he's started to flare at EVERYTHING and he won't stop! I tried turning the light off, covering the tank with a black scarf, but he just won't stop! I'm really worried he's going to stress himself out like crazy.
He keeps seeing himself in the corner, I think but no matter what I try, it won't work. He has just built a bubble nest, so is he just extra protective? Any other suggestions as to how to stop it?

Is he just feeling really manly all of a sudden?

nope. It's a 5.5 gallon so I don't really have options. I ended up putting my temp. thermometer in front of the part he was reacting (it's really tall) and it seems to have stopped him from flaring. I didn't really want to have that thermometer in my tank anymore so I'll have to try and find something else that will work there.

I had a betta like that. He was pretty vain and he would flare for no reason and strut around the tank for me.

While he was flaring, he gained red streaks on his fins. I am not home right now so I don't know if they're still there, but they stayed there for at least an hour after he started to calm. Here's a pic:

100_5284.jpg

I'm not sure if this something to be concerned about, or if this is just new colouring.

there colour does get more intense when they flare, its to try put 'the other male' (in this case his reflection :lol:) off a fight, in most cases they do just flare and 1 backs down.

You could try a nice leafy plant in the corner :good:

I'm relieved to know that he was just gaining more colour on him! :wub:
I've adjusted his tank set up and so far he has been rather content!
I feel silly sometimes asking these questions because usually I know the answer already. I suddenly feel like a big newbie to bettas! I guess I am a newbie when it comes to starting off with proper care right off the bat. I just want to make sure I'm doing things right! Glad this forum is here to help me out :)

Most reactions

Back