Help Have I Done A Terrible Thing ?

LostInTheArk

Reaction score
My mum bought me some dwarf gouramis today. Since then I have been told they will not be hardy enough because my tank isn't properly cycled yet. Is this true or is it possible with water changes daily and constant checks on the ammonia levels so that they don't get too high that they could survive this process ? I have a Fluval roma 90, with a fluval u2 filter and an air pump and stone on the way to create another oxygen/air source and 5 zebra danios already. If not I will have to look into the possibility of rehoming them.

Thanks for people's advice and support

LITA :)

Would not recommend adding them but if that's the only option then go for it.

Would not recommend adding them but if that's the only option then go for it.
Agreed.....I did a fish in cycle when I first got my tank,( I didnt know any better) and lost fish in the process. The fishless cycle is the best ever if you can at all possibly do that. If not, monitor the water everyday...and you should be okay

My mum bought me some dwarf gouramis today. Since then I have been told they will not be hardy enough because my tank isn't properly cycled yet. Is this true or is it possible with water changes daily and constant checks on the ammonia levels so that they don't get too high that they could survive this process ? I have a Fluval roma 90, with a fluval u2 filter and an air pump and stone on the way to create another oxygen/air source and 5 zebra danios already. If not I will have to look into the possibility of rehoming them.

Thanks for people's advice and support

Since you already have them, the best you can do is closely monitor the water parameters. Check daily for any rise of ammonia and prepare yourself for some big water changes if it happens. I used a product for 10 days called Seachem Stability. It prevents new tank syndrome. I, personally have had success with the product and never had any fish die from ammonia exposure. If you can't get this product you may want to consider re-homing. Fish-in cycles can work successfully, I've done them for years but it's not recommended, especially for someone new to the hobby.

I think there is also a product that claims to detoxify the ammonia but still leaves it in the water column so that the bacteria can consume it. Don't remember which one it is. I think it's made by SeaChem.

Thanks for everyones help. I did use to keep fish when I was younger so I am used to water changes just not so much the concept of fishless cycling so fingers crossed.

Fish in cycle is possible but as mentioned keep close eye on those water parameters! Also, feed sparingly every OTHER day-less food in=less waste out. You will not be harming the fish as they can go quite some time without food.
a syphon and bucket will be your best friend for a while.
cheers

Does any one else agree with the use of seachem? Just wanted some more opinions before I went ahead and bought.

Many thanks,

If you do use it, I would still do daily water changes. I think if you are doing the water changes, and don't rely on the chemical to do all the work, there's no harm in trying it.

i cycled a tank fish in, and as long as you keep on top of it its not rocket science. i dont know my tanks, is it a roma 90 because its 90L, or is it just some misleading product naming :crazy: ? the bigger the tank the easier it will be to keep on top of things. saying that i know nothing about gouramis, never had any luck with them.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your advice.

I went ahead and bought the seachem. I never expected it to ever replace water changes I'm about to do my tests then do another what change based on what the results are. Yes it is called a roma 90 because it is 90 litres I know there are some that a numbered not due to their size so I can understand the confusion :D

Many thanks once more,

Oh! Another thing you can do... get some used filter media from a friend who has a cycled tank, or from a fish store. Most are perfectly happy to share, or at least sell it. If you add that to your tank to help seed the bacteria, you can grow the different cultures and be done cycling anywhere from a few days to a couple weeks, instead of months. Just squeeze a used sponge or floss into your filter, then drop it in the tank or rinse it into the tank to help jump start the bacteria population.

Thanks I've got some seachem on the way which should come today tomorrow or Monday. If I think that's not work I shall try getting hold of some filter media.

Thanks for everyones help,

Most reactions

Back