Help - Getting My First Baby Bristlenoses On Tue

fishnovice

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Just bought 3 albino and 3 black baby bristlenoses on Ebay about 1 inch/2.5 cms. Collecting them on Tue. Need advice on feeding and housing them. Is it better to keep the baby bristles in
1.Community tank, sand substrate with much larger mollies, platy and guppies
OR
2. Fry tank, bare bottom no substrate with young guppies and mollies about 1.5cm each
All fry currently get high protein finely ground fry food twice daily. Will baby bristles be OK with this or should I give them sinking algae pellets? There is no algae in the tank.

I would keep them in the communtiy tank with the sand. Second, it is very important that you have wood in your aquarium. They die easily without it. You should feed prepared pleco food too supplement their diet. They need a good territory, lke a cave or some sort of defined territory. Thats about it, take a lookie here: link

I would keep them in the communtiy tank with the sand. Second, it is very important that you have wood in your aquarium. They die easily without it. You should feed prepared pleco food too supplement their diet. They need a good territory, lke a cave or some sort of defined territory. Thats about it, take a lookie here: link
Thnaks for your advice, I'll put them in community tank.Unfortunately LINK DOESN'T WORK! Could you please repost it.I have sinking algae pellets which I normally crumble and feed to mollies but I can drop a few whole ones for baby BN.
I have an old piece of wood I can add -would a coconut shell or small terracotta flowerpot make a good cave?

Thnaks for your advice, I'll put them in community tank.Unfortunately LINK DOESN'T WORK! Could you please repost it.I have sinking algae pellets which I normally crumble and feed to mollies but I can drop a few whole ones for baby BN.
I have an old piece of wood I can add -would a coconut shell or small terracotta flowerpot make a good cave?

Both of your ideas would be very good caves. :nod: I don't know why the link isn't working? I can't find it now. Anyhow,it was pretty much just summing up what I said. Your tank is pretty much ready! ;) Good Luck!

Baby Bns will also enjoy some blanched lettuce or courgette, or peas. They're a joy to feed and like a high vegetable content.

btw, i found a link - think its the one reeeedfish was getting at - just remove the www.http.com// which is neat the beginning ofthe URL. Heres the link (hope it works this time) http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/42932-bristlenose-catfish/

btw, i found a link - think its the one reeeedfish was getting at - just remove the www.http.com// which is neat the beginning ofthe URL. Heres the link (hope it works this time) http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/42932-bristlenose-catfish/

Yea. that was the one. Thanks for finding it! :)

Thanks guys, the new link works now.
Got 7 baby bristles in the end, 4 albino and 3 dark, siblings from same parents. Put them in community tank as you advised - and they've disappeared!Sometimes see one dark one climbing up tank walls, no sign of the rest.

FEEDING QUESTION: I've been dropping algae sinking pellets and blanched courgette as instructed but the greedy mollies eat them all!How do I feed lettuce and peas to the baby BN?
- whole lettuce leaf, how do you make it sink?
-peas: how do you remove uneaten bits so as not to pollute tank with rotting veg. Or shall I let MTS and apple snails clear uneaten veg (assuming mollies leave any!)How many peas do 7 x 1inch bristles need every day?

Advice really appreciated. Worried baby bristles may starve.

Thanks guys, the new link works now.
Got 7 baby bristles in the end, 4 albino and 3 dark, siblings from same parents. Put them in community tank as you advised - and they've disappeared!Sometimes see one dark one climbing up tank walls, no sign of the rest.

FEEDING QUESTION: I've been dropping algae sinking pellets and blanched courgette as instructed but the greedy mollies eat them all!How do I feed lettuce and peas to the baby BN?
- whole lettuce leaf, how do you make it sink?
-peas: how do you remove uneaten bits so as not to pollute tank with rotting veg. Or shall I let MTS and apple snails clear uneaten veg (assuming mollies leave any!)How many peas do 7 x 1inch bristles need every day?

Advice really appreciated. Worried baby bristles may starve.

Another case of the dissapearing bristles! Don't worry it's normal. :nod: The way to get lettuceto sink is to stick a plant weight(you know, the metal bands they put around plants to amke them sink) or put it under a rock. The trick to bristlenoses is finding their domain. If you find their cave, you can put their food right into it. Just keep looking! Cheers!

While I always put wood in my plecs tanks regardless, the following statement is just not true.

Second, it is very important that you have wood in your aquarium. They die easily without it.

While I always put wood in my plecs tanks regardless, the following statement is just not true.

Second, it is very important that you have wood in your aquarium. They die easily without it.

I don't remember where I got it. I think it was on this forum. so, okay, let me rephrase: bristlenoses would enjoy wood, it is not a nessecity, but it will make them very happy. :)

Wood adds fibre to their diets.

I was an idiot and lost a few baby BN's because my filter flow was too strong (at least that's what I think caused it), some ended up being sucked through the intake. Just thought I'd give ya a heads up.

Try blanched spinach - my B/ns go mental for it
You can buy a bag of the frozen stuff for next to nothing - weigh it down with aquarium lead or anything stainless. I wouldn't be suprised if all your B/ns show themselves when they sniff it in the water :good:

Most reactions

Back