Help for identification something moving on dead Guppy magnified 200X

Paddy1888

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this forum and would like to reach out for help.

We got our daughter a 46 l aqua one fish tank at Christmas.
We cycled the tank for about 4 weeks before putting 6 guppies in.

we then had a fish die after about 2 months with no obvious external signs but for about 2 weeks started hiding and staying at the bottom. searched the net but didnt find anything that looked like it may have been an issue. the aquarium we bought from said it may have been liver/ internal organ failure. All the other Guppies are fine.

Now after 3 months a second guppy has done the same, hiding for a week or two (still eating) then almost shutting down although with this one we could see the scales rising up (pine coning but not as bad as some of the dropsy images ive seen).
At the beginning did a 50% change after testing for 0.25ppm nitrite, tap water tested for free chlorine but not Chloramine but still had added stabaliser and dechlorinator. We though it might have damaged the fish.
Water quality is good pH 7.8-8.2, 0 ammn, 0 Nitrite, 0-10 Nitrate, Hardness was low but now high (tested in shop) added salt after first fish died.

Typically change 10% of water every couple of days and vacuum the gravel every couple of weeks (although I can never get the syphon to work easily, which probably stresses the fish).

The video link attached is of something moving on the second dead fish at 200 x magnification, could anyone identify what this is and if it is a likely cause or if the remaining fish are at risk?

Any help would be appreciated

Kind Regards

Looks like a worm/ fluke, probably from the gills (eg: gill flukes). They are common in fish and can usually be treated with salt or Praziquantel (dewormer that treats tapeworm in all animals and fish).

See section 3 of the following link for deworming fish.

-----------------
If you post pictures of the remaining fish, I might be able to identify other health issues.

-----------------
A bigger water change is more effective. I recommend a 75% water change and gravel clean once a week. This removes more gunk and harmful substances than a small water change.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Thank you for your help Colin_T

Thanks for the link, this does kind of describe the situation and time frame, I didn't see any poo from the two that passed but one of the remaining looks brownish.

Attached a video of the remaining fish in tank, the orange tail is the same as the most recent one to die.

Most reactions

Back