Help: Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish Fighting, Help Urgently Required.

Genesis

If you're a cory and you know it clap your.. hands
Reaction score
I went to my LFS today and liked the look of some DNRs (Melanotaenia praecox) for my 50L tank.
They are about 2cm long right now.
I purchased 3 for £8 and asked the man for 2 females and 1 male but when I got home I noticed that I have infact been given 1 female and 2 males.

They were alright at first (cowering beneath the plants as new fish do) but now they're more settled the two males have been engaged in (as of yet) a three-hour-tussle over the lone female and as I look to my right at the tank I can see them writhing and flaring even now.
:blink:

I have a 180L tank with 3 gold severums, 2 silver dollars, 2 silver tetras, 1 zebra angelfish and 1 B.R.T. Shark, do you think I should move one male into this tank and later in the week go to the same shop and select 3 females to even it out (2:4 male to female)?

Tankmates in the 50L are 4 cardinal tetras and 5 endler's livebearers.

Help and advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks.
- Genesis

I would put this thread in general chat you will get more help over there.
Good luclk.

As your planning to get a few more fish later this week it won't hurt to move one of the males to your other tank for a few days until you get the numbers right. They are suppose to be peaceful with other species and too big to get eaten by fish like angelfish so i think it should be ok.

I think getting a few more females would be the best thing to do, if you don't want more fish move one of the males to the other tank and see if you can swap him for a female at the same LFS.

As your planning to get a few more fish later this week it won't hurt to move one of the males to your other tank for a few days until you get the numbers right. They are suppose to be peaceful with other species and too big to get eaten by fish like angelfish so i think it should be ok.

I think getting a few more females would be the best thing to do, if you don't want more fish move one of the males to the other tank and see if you can swap him for a female at the same LFS.

Thankyou for your helpful words. :)

Luckily the sparring between the two males seems to have died down somewhat.
If they begin to recklessly tussle again I shall remove the most aggressive one and place him in the 'large fish community'.

I will be purchasing 3 more females on Saturday (five days time), I don't think this will cause my 50L tank to become overstocked, do you? (see sig for fish)

Thanks for your tips! ;)

- Genesis

Most reactions

Back