Help choosing an aquarium backing

GroumiFan05

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've got a planted 4 foot tank that I have been working on quiet a bit lately. Recently however I have been looking for a backing to put on my tank. I would like some advice as to what would look best. I've gone for a somewhat natural looking tank so black is sorta out of the question. Personally i was thinking either a dark teal colour or a planted backing.
All advice and opinions are welcome,
Thanks 😁

A lot depends on the colour of your fish. Black or slate grey tend not to hide fish, while providing security. Greens and teals can affect fish colour and visibility. Too light, and algae shows too much.

A lot depends on the colour of your fish. Black or slate grey tend not to hide fish, while providing security. Greens and teals can affect fish colour and visibility. Too light, and algae shows too much.
Most of my fish are either silver (tetras) or blue (angels and blue acaras) idealy the plants will hide 90% of it.
Thoughts?

Last time I bluetacked a piece of blue a3 craft card to my tank.. cheap and you can pick any colour..
our old gf SpongeBob 🙏🏻Rip
00714FAF-C9E4-4046-BA9E-282BCD093E6B.jpeg

I've tried a lot of colours, and now go with black. I have some tanks that are deep navy blue, and I like them. Lighter blues pick up light, but they look like pet shops to me. I assume that's calculated to show fish colours, and that's why stores go with it. But it looks very unnatural to me. Black or dark grey can be a rock face.
I got fancy at one point and did grey accent streaks on black. Mine were sad - my artist daughter whose grasp of perspective in painting is superior to mine did better. But at a point, you realize you want a backing you don't even look at. Its goal is to not detract from the fish and plants.
Making a plan before you paint in which you incorporate rocks and where they'll be is a good idea, but if you get bored, it paints you into a corner, so to speak.

Plain non-glossy black, like black construction paper, is probably the best backdrop. You do not see it, which means the tank appears larger, and the colours of the fish, plants and decor object are more striking. And it does have a calming effect on fish.

Photos are hit and miss. One that is dull, no bright colours, and no plants, is better if you really want a "picture." The idea here again is to have something that you don't really see, it is not glaring out, which detracts from the fish and plants.

Most reactions

Back