Help! Ammonia zero but Nitrite very high!

Berksou

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am struggling with very high Nitrite in my tank since a week now. I am doing daily 30-50% water changes but every time I measured it's around 5ppm or more (difficult to say whether it's 2ppm or 5ppm). The ammonia is perfectly at zero but the nitrate is barely above zero.

My water is very soft and I have 15 hardy fish in the tank. I won't bother you with my story on why I have this scenario but I am new to the hobby so.my apologize for this mess!

Now I am in the middle of the problem, I would like your advice. Should I just keep with the PWC's and wait for the second bacteria to grow? I am worried about my fish.

Keep up the daily water changes. What water conditioner are you using? And do you have a filter that needs the cartridge swapped out? You are in the middle of what is called a fish in cycle which can be lethal to the fish. Nitrite is VERY toxic to fish

Reduce the feeding to 2-3 times a week until the filter has recovered.

Small water changes don't do anything so increase the size of the water changes to 75% every day until the levels are 0ppm.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

If you do a 25% water change each week you leave behind 75% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 50% water change each week you leave behind 50% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 75% water change each week you leave behind 25% of the bad stuff in the water.

Keep up the daily water changes. What water conditioner are you using? And do you have a filter that needs the cartridge swapped out? You are in the middle of what is called a fish in cycle which can be lethal to the fish. Nitrite is VERY toxic to fish
I am using API stress coat. I am thinking to buy Sea Prime?

My filter is top fin PF40 and yes it needs cartridge replacement. Its showing me that I need to replace it but I don't want to do that now so that I do not affect the biology.

I am using API stress coat. I am thinking to buy Sea Prime?

My filter is top fin PF40 and yes it needs cartridge replacement. Its showing me that I need to replace it but I don't want to do that now so that I do not affect the biology.
If possible, use API aqua essentials instead of prime. Prime doesnt release what they use in their conditioner which is a little shady imo. Its still up to you though. Stress coat contaims aloe vera which is actually not good for the fish at all

You can use salt to mitigate the effects of nitrite but it must be pure salt. Table salt usually contains anti caking agents and in some countries it also contains iodine. Aquarium salt or rock salt is what you need.

The second half of this is about using salt for nitrite.

You can use salt to mitigate the effects of nitrite but it must be pure salt. Table salt usually contains anti caking agents and in some countries it also contains iodine. Aquarium salt or rock salt is what you need.

The second half of this is about using salt for nitrite.
Thank you. However, I read that Corydoras are sensitive to salt, what do you think? Also isn't iodized salt going to harm the biofilter?

Sadly also, I noticed that my silver dollars have some white spots and it seems it is ich. Now I am really stressed and confused. Any help will be appreciated.

Also isn't iodized salt going to harm the biofilter?
It will harm the fish if not the filter which is why you can't use iodised salt. It has to be pure salt with no additives.

Cories are OK with up to 1 heaped tablespoon salt per 5 gallons/20 litres. The amount of salt used for nitrite is less than this.

There is one theory that ich is present in tanks all the time but non-stressed fish can fight it off. But when fish are stressed, they become infected. The level of nitrite you report is enough to stress fish.

The safest way to treat ich is by raising the temperature to 86 deg F/30 deg C and leaving it there for 2 weeks. Ich medications are pretty rough on fish and virtually all fish can tolerate high temps for 2 weeks better than meds.

It will harm the fish if not the filter which is why you can't use iodised salt. It has to be pure salt with no additives.

Cories are OK with up to 1 heaped tablespoon salt per 5 gallons/20 litres. The amount of salt used for nitrite is less than this.

There is one theory that ich is present in tanks all the time but non-stressed fish can fight it off. But when fish are stressed, they become infected. The level of nitrite you report is enough to stress fish.

The safest way to treat ich is by raising the temperature to 86 deg F/30 deg C and leaving it there for 2 weeks. Ich medications are pretty rough on fish and virtually all fish can tolerate high temps for 2 weeks better than meds.
Perfect so my plan will be to add aquarium salt (1teaspoon per gallon) and rise temperature to 86 degrees. I will also keep up with the daily water changes.
Does this sound good? I will take your advice and I will get back to you. Many thanks.

Also does the activated carbon filters the salt? My filter cartridge combines the mechanical and carbon filters so I cannot separate them see picture please.

Attachments

• IMG_20220205_085818160_MP.jpg
    IMG_20220205_085818160_MP.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 34
Also does the activated carbon filters the salt? My filter cartridge combines the mechanical and carbon filters so I cannot separate them see picture please.
Switch to a filter that doesn't need a cartridge change... It will save you money AND its better for the tank. When you keep changing a filter cartridge, you are also getting rid of any beneficial bacteria that was being build up. This is also probably why your tank is not cycled and has a nitrite build up.

Most reactions

Back