Hello & Thank You!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fish Bound

Reaction score
Hello

Just thought I'd write a quick test post to say Helloooooo :)

I've struggled to find a place like this, I've gone through books and magazines and it's about blown my head up - everyone says something differant so I don't know if I'm right or wrong.

Here I've found real people, talking about real issues and with some really good ideas, it's fantastic.

I only started in the hobby because I rescued some Aqua Babies, although I was quick to rescue I didn't have a clue what to do. I was lucky that my LFS (Local FIsh Shop) - spent hours trying to work that out LOL - set me up with a

18" x 12" x 12" tank
Maxi-Jet MP 400
Heater
Some gravel - although I am never ever buying painted gravel again
Two lava rocks
Some fish food
Some water test kits pH - Nitrite - Amonia

I have to admit I was clueless, but couldn't stand seeing two little fish in a small plastic cube.

Since then I've added some plants, Anubias, Cobumba, Java Fern (came on it's own accord I didn't put it in there) ;) A spider plant look a like and some Vellis, all are doing quite well.

My fish are on their second batch of babies - I keep meaning to take them to the LFS for some credit, but some of the first bunch ended up in a tank in a health centre, and the second lot at a local hospital entertaining out patients :)

I can't bring myself to get rid of them, I've kept the smallest ones, I'm up to 18 and they are all tiny - but someone has said it's because of their genetic merit from being an aqua baby.

I did have my first death the other day and I all I could do was panic. My LFS was having a bank holiday sale and it was heaving with people :( Still all my fish are ok - I've treated them to some more plants a full water change my water readings are:

pH 6.7
Amonia 0 - but when left for ages in the test tube you notice some pink
Nitrite 0

They are all feeding well and seem happy enough, I did buy a digital thermometer too :D

So A BIG Thank you to everyone and another BIG Hello

:)

Hi Fish Bound and welcome.

Could anyone please tell me exactly what an "aqua baby" is? I assume it's some kind of fish?

Hiya

It's terrible really, and Aqua Baby - are tropical fish that were kept in a small 6" x 4" plastic cube with some gravel a snail and a plant.

I am pleased to say that in this country sales have been banned :)

I thought it was so cruel which is why I steped in to resuce them.

I don't know if they still exist else where, but I hope it's a practice that has now been stopped.

Still my fishies are now very happy - and the new larger planted tank dream will I hope become a reality and they can have some buddies to swim round with :)

Thank you all for the welcome :)

It is great to have you here! welcome!
here_is_a_flower.gif

Hi Fish Bound and welcome to the forum. :)

Sounds like you've had your hands full so far but have done a tremendous job in the clutch!!!

Hi There and Congratulations on your rescue.
Are Aqua Babies a specific breed of tropical fish that they used to stick in those tiny cubes.
That sounds terrible.
The same thing troubles me about the Bettas kept it tiny little jars. I've heard they don't mind but I just can't believe that.
I have a Betta in a one gallon tank with a plant and I think he's lonely so I'll be adding 2 or 3 ghost shrimp to keep him happy.

Hi and welcome :D

Unfortunately, the sale of aqua babies still do exsist. :no:

I thought that was strange that I wasn't asked for my password. The above person is me by the way, :lol:

One again :thumbs: a VERY BIG thank you to all who have welcomed me :D

:unsure: :no: I can't believe, and find it very sad that tropical fish are still sold in tiny plastic containers.

Most die within day's or weeks :no: Many are gifts, and people think they can just stick them on their shelf and they'll keep them alive by just popping in a pinch full of food every week or so.

Still we've got them banned from sale in our area :)

Again - thank you everyone for the welcome :) :)

those cubes are awful!!!!!! all the stores sell them including the bay.....it's stupid...in the local video store they have a betta in one and the whole thing is green and the betta isn't swimming :-( i complained very loudly about his treatment but the people there are mean!

Most reactions

Back