hello from Italy

Velvetgun

Reaction score
First of all, sorry for my terrible English, I am Italian and I live in Tuscany. So forgive my mistakes
Looking for some topics on Google I came across this forum and I was struck by the competence but also by the friendliness of the people who write.
I am a dog breeder as a hobby and compete in various dog sports but in recent months I have become passionate about aquariums.
I am reading a lot but I also find many conflicting opinions on many topics (for example volume of water change, siphoning, filters)
My idea would be to make two tanks:
- I would keep the first one in the kitchen, I would have a size limit of 60 cm in length and a maximum of 48 centimeters in height
- the second one instead I would like 200 liters but here I have much clearer ideas about the future inhabitants.
My questions on this forum will therefore be about the management and especially about the inhabitants of the first tank.
I hope you have the patience to put up with my mental lucubrations :)

Last edited:
Hello. Tuscany. I'm jealous. You live in a part of the world many people dream of visiting.
There can be a problem with aquariums in kitchens. If you cook a lot, this can leave a film on the water, which you would have to regularly remove. That is a minor consideration though. It could be very beautiful.
Don't worry about your English. It's better than my Italian.

Hello. Tuscany. I'm jealous. You live in a part of the world many people dream of visiting.
There can be a problem with aquariums in kitchens. If you cook a lot, this can leave a film on the water, which you would have to regularly remove. That is a minor consideration though. It could be very beautiful.
Don't worry about your English. It's better than my Italian.
I love Tuscany very much, I live in Lucca, an ancient city surrounded by walls with trees on top.
I don't cook much but what is the film on water made of? can it be harmful to fish? the aquarium would clearly not be very close to the stove

Often it's protein. Kitchens are often humid from cooking, and there can be a lot in the air. It has never caused trouble that I've seen.

I grew up with aquariums. My mother had one in the kitchen, and we would float a paper towel on it to remove the film. The fish never seemed bothered. If you have a filter, and do the regular water changes you must do anyway, it isn't an issue unless the tank is very close to the cooking area. This is a winter, windows closed problem, and Tuscany has less winter than we do in Canada.

Welcome to the forum. When I was 21 years old many many years ago and hitchhiking through Europe I visited Lucca. I stayed outside Lucca in Volvatava. What a beautiful city.

Spesso sono proteine. Le cucine sono spesso umide a causa della cottura e l'aria può essere molto. Non ha mai causato problemi a quanto ho visto.
But does it also come if the aquarium is covered by a glass plate?

GaryE said:

" Spesso sono proteine. Le cucine sono spesso umide a causa della cottura e l'aria può essere molto. Non ha mai causato problemi a quanto ho visto."

That's exactly what I said. I haven't lost my childhood street Italian! (I grew up partly in an area full of Italian immigrants, and can often follow conversations in Italian, even I can't speak. Yet. I'm working on it.)

Usually, filtration draws air from the room, but a tight cover would help a lot with that.

Google translate is our friend. Google Translate è nostro amico.

Welcome aboard... :hi:
I am reading a lot but I also find many conflicting opinions on many topics (for example volume of water change, siphoning, filters)
Yes, if you would surf the internet for your aquarium questions, there will be multiple replies going into every direction possible. Which doesn't make it easier to a novice aquarist. First thing is to wonder if you've got a psace left to set up a fishtank. The size of the fishtank is depending on what you'd like to put in there and does the desired space for the set up allow you to go to a maximum size. Not everyone has the same ideal space to offer for a fishtank. And only after that we can look at the rest. And take your time to set things up. Rushing it won't help that much...
Sufficient members overhere who are willing to help you out with your questionaire.

well, hello there from Italy. don't know if would ever have any relevant advise but I did fall in love with an Italian girl in 1959/sixth grade. then we moved out of state!

Welcome. The experts on here are very good and their advice is worth following. I’m not one of them though.
Lucca eh? We passed through there and Pisa on the way to a wedding in a place called Bagni Di Lucca a few years ago. BDL was far too small for the week we’d booked though.
Should’ve stayed a few days in Pisa and Lucca. Not as many days as Chet Baker did back in his bad boy days, though I think the majority of his days were bad boy days.
Locals told us people came from miles around to sit outside the prison walls listening to him practice.

Welcome!
I’ve only been to Italy twice, I went to Venice as a child and I visited Rome back in 2019. But Lucca looks like a beautiful city, would be a lovely place to visit.

Most reactions

Back