Hello From Germany

mlolm

Reaction score
Hi, just wanted to introduce myself. I am new to the fishkeeping hobby. I just started about 6 months ago with a Dennerle Nanocube 10 Litre for my Betta. Well everyone told me that is a difficult tank to maintain being so small. I kind of shrugged it off and said, meh, its a betta you can keep a betta in almost anything. However, they were right it needs weekly 30% water changes. I'm finally getting the algae under control, but dont have a good method to clean debree off the bottom yet.

Anyhow, for christmas I'm getting a new, bigger tank! The Fluval Edge 2! I know it has its issues, but what I really like about it is the closed top. I will likely stock it with my betta, a few snails, and a few shrimp to eat the junk. Thats my current plan anyways.

I will be posting most likely questions as I run into issues. I hope this forum is nice and active and has a great helpful community. OK off to post my first question.

Attachments

• 01aa82c5ee235eeadfbb1a39dd8111904f3bea6a0a.jpg
    01aa82c5ee235eeadfbb1a39dd8111904f3bea6a0a.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 116
dennerle is an awesome company, welcome to the forums!

Just a warning about Fluval Edge tanks and bettas - some bettas have trouble finding that small square of surface water to gulp air. If yours has this problem the only option is to lower the water level so there is an air gap under the top glass. This spoils the effect of the Edge though.

Just a warning about Fluval Edge tanks and bettas - some bettas have trouble finding that small square of surface water to gulp air. If yours has this problem the only option is to lower the water level so there is an air gap under the top glass. This spoils the effect of the Edge though.

Yes, i read about that too. Apparently it depends on the betta. I hope my betta is smart enough, another guy trained his using black paper cutout to only show light from the opening. Worst case i put him back in the Nano cube and leave him out of the fluval.

However, they were right it needs weekly 30% water changes.

All tanks need weekly water changes of 30% or more. The Edge will as well. I do about 40% weekly water changes in both my tanks.

Hello! Can you find a plastic tube at the hardware store in Germany? It would work to clean the detritus on the bottom. A smaller diameter tube will have stronger suction, and drain water much slower. If you can get the job done quickly, I'd get a larger one and syphon the water into a bucket. I personally have two buckets for my nanos, one for draining the tank and one filled with fresh water. You could also use an unused turkey baster to remove the poop on the bottom, but this is very time consuming.

Good idea. I have a water vac. but the diameter of the tube is too big and it drains the tank in a matter of 15 seconds or so. I will look for a smaller attachment/tube to use for the nano tank. I need to clean the junk out its getting really bad now with the new snails and i just fed my betta some shrimp thingies and alot of them were dead. Will get that sorted next week. Good tip!

Most reactions

Back