Hello fish people, meet my fish fam!

Fushufish

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m Fushufish! I am the mom of one 3 y.o. Angel fish named Fushu, 1 super red long fin bristle named Toothless, and 6 corydora sterbai’s whom I collectively refer to as “the littles”. Fushu is my baby, he’s the most humanized fish ever; he responds to my voice, gives me “kisses” when I ask, notices me the second I walk into the room, and loves attention and a camera.

We recently moved from Florida to Washington state and we only had Fushu at the time. Moving him was the most stressful time of my life. We prepared with months of planning which involved finding a pet store to package Fushu and put O2 in his bag, a shipping company to produce a label for him since only commercial shipping is allowed, making a separate trip to Washington weeks before moving day to set up the new tank so it would be ready for him when he arrived, and a perfectly timed and executed departure day of putting Fushu in a bucket, disposing of the tank, going to the fish store for O2 and bagging, dropping Fushu at the FedEx express that allows shipping of live aquatics (not all FedEx do), and hopping on a plane to get out here in order to receive Fushu when he arrived the next morning.

Everything went as planned however when we received Fushu, the handler was holding him upside down... this little guy had gone through a lot. My heart was pounding as I opened the box, mentally preparing myself in case the worse had happened. I open the box to find a sunken in bag and a motionless fish. THE BAG HAD LEAKED and all his oxygen and half his water was gone. I stared at him and saw a small movement in his fin, I told myself he was still alive. We went into action. Poured him and his bag water into a bucket and set up a drip from his new tank to the bucket, slowly removing the toxic water and replacing it with fresh water. I knew I was possibly doing all this for a dead fish that I imagined had moved but after 2 hours the little guy started to get some life back, after half the day went by he was swimming up right, and by the end of the day he looked like he would make it. We moved him into his new tank the next day where he is now thriving!

A couple months after the move we decided to get him some friends. Fushu isn’t the friendliest, he used to fight his brother and we had to separate them (Ditka has since passed), so choosing the right comrades was important. We went with the corys and the bristle and besides a little playful chase every once in while they are coexisting perfectly! We all know Fushu is the man of the tank.

So that’s our story and here we are! Excited to meet some enthusiasts who can offer any advice or ideas. Maybe I can provide some advice as well, if you’re planning on moving across country with your tank, I got you.
BF620131-FD75-4A70-9D04-A3F054978623.jpeg
48BFF330-0C49-4A28-8756-C776CCA0E2B8.jpeg
A7DA947B-3450-4A4D-85FB-367B391E8316.jpeg

Wow! How did you cycle the new tank so fast? That is amazing how he survived that ordeal.
Plants helped a lot I think! But honestly it was not 100% cycled when Fushu moved in. Maintaining homeostasis in the beginning was very tedious, involving 1/3 water changes every few days, but then it completely turned and now it’s pretty self-sustaining between the plants and all our little workers.

I know, you've gotta give it to the little man! I call him my little fighter fish. I gave him a lot of pep talks leading to the big day and we did everything humanly possible to ensure his best outcome but ultimately it was his will to live that got him through and I couldn’t be more proud!

You are to be commended for your dedication. Welcome to the forum! There are many good people here.

@Colin_T i swear there is nothing he doesn't know about sick fish so if you need help he's your guy. You will see him around quite a lot.

@Naterjm is our newly appointed fish stand expert. He knows a TON about construction, so if you have stand questions talk to him.

And many more, I can't be bothered to type more on a tiny phone keyboard lol.

You are to be commended for your dedication. Welcome to the forum! There are many good people here.

@Colin_T i swear there is nothing he doesn't know about sick fish so if you need help he's your guy. You will see him around quite a lot.

@Naterjm is our newly appointed fish stand expert. He knows a TON about construction, so if you have stand questions talk to him.

And many more, I can't be bothered to type more on a tiny phone keyboard lol.
Thank you!! Haha yes Colin_T has actually already helped me! I had joined to seek help when one of my corys was sick but he has since made a recovery! And that’s good to know that Naterjm is good with stands! We will be upgrading eventually and will need some help with that when the time comes!

Most reactions

Back