Hello! First Fish Tank :d

ChocolateCrunch

Reaction score
Hello.
This is my first time on the forums so...uh, hi! Anyway, my name is Dakota but just call my Choco :D I'm pretty new to fish keeping. Actually, my first aquarium was just purchased a two days ago and I'm going to add my first fish today-a betta!
My five gallon is ready to take on anything right now and a halfmoon betta would probably be best to start the cycle. Maybe even some ghost shrimp and something colorful once the tank is finished cycling? If you have any recomendations for tank mates, I would be glad to hear em. Anyway, probably will be postting some pics of my betta in his new tank later today so see ya then :lol:

Peace :p

before you get a fish please take a look at fishless cycling

Hi Choco, welcome to TFF :)

It is great that you are interested in fish keeping, but as walker said you do need to cycle your tank before you add your betta. Unfortunately adding the betta straight away will poison him and it is quite likely he will die.

Have a look here at how to fishless cycle:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=113861

If you have any questions just ask ^^

Lol ^ :p

Hi Choco,

Have you read about cycling in the beginners section, I would definately recommend it. You are currenly in a fish-in situation so I would recommend getting a liquid test kit if you havn't already and test everyday which I believe is to be morning and evening. A lot of waterchanges will be required to keep this guy alive!

Good luck, Si.

edit: I got the impression you'd already added the fish, if you havn't I would recommend fishless cycling.

Welcome to TFF! Ghost shrimp are rather small, and may end up being a meal. For a 5 gallon a small group of pygmy corys would liven up the bottom. As far as cycling, if you are willing to do the large daily water changes required for a traditional cycle that is up to you.

At one time this and cloning were the only known methods of cycling, and fishkeepers got by fine, though with more work. If you are able to obtain some mature media from a shop or another fishkeeper it will shorten the cycling process.

Thanks peeps :p lol.

Anyway, I'm willing to do 25-50% water changes every day or every other day to keep my betta alive. I'm just way to impaitiant to wait untill the cycling prosses is done! Sorry guys :(
Don't worry. I have everything I need like a heater, filter, the aquarium (duh), water conditioner...etc. All I need is a fish and a thermomiter wich I will be picking up later today at Petco.

Would three albino cory cats (corydoras), four or five ghost shrimp, and the betta be ok (i'll add the others when the tank is cycled)?

Thanks!

P.S. Uhh, my tank is really neon...so when I post pics later, don't freak out :blush:

Welcome to the forum :D

Just a word of advice on albino cories- they don't label what type they are. I bought my two when they were wee tiny things, and now they are massive. You're better off looking for specific dwarf species of cories- I have habrosus cories and they are adorable! Although do bare in mind that each betta's personality is different. My first betta, Thor was fine with the those cories, but my new guy, Tyr was far too interested in them and kept nipping them, so they had to be moved. So let your betta settle in first and see what kind of personality he has before you decide on any tank mates ^^

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your tank! :D

Got my fish yesterday! Got a wonderful halfmoon double tail betta. I named him GummyBear ^o^
He has a silver violet body, a long red tail with blue streaks and a black rim around it. I just couldn't resist the little cory cats and got two (bronze peppered) albino ones (they only had two and they are sooo small). I'll be adding a bronze peppered cory cat once the tank is cycled and probably some ghost shrimp too. Here are some pics:

Attachments

• angel.jpg
    angel.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Angel & Bub.jpg
    Angel & Bub.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 127
  • GummyBear1.jpg
    GummyBear1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 110
  • GummyBear2.jpg
    GummyBear2.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 110
That is rather bright :D

Do you have a test kit?

If not i would reccomend doing 50% daily water changes untill you do

Sam.

That is rather bright :D

Do you have a test kit?

If not i would reccomend doing 50% daily water changes untill you do

Sam.

I only have an ammonia test kit. I can only use it a certain number of times and I've already used to twice so would 25% water changes ever 2-3 days be ok? When I test and get really high ammonia or nitrite, a 50% water change would be ideal though, right?

Anyone like my pics?

Thanks!

He's beautiful. :) I recommend you get a test kit for nitrite, nitrate and ph as well. (Liquid; test strips are fairly inaccurate.)

Yes, do a water change when you get any amount of ammonia.

Welcome to the forums and to this wonderful hobby! :D

-f_f!

Corys should be in a min of 4 and that substrate is not recommended, it will eventually hurt the corys, due to the sharp edges. you should have a very fine gravel or sand, for corys.

your betta is beautiful x

Corys should be in a min of 4 and that substrate is not recommended, it will eventually hurt the corys, due to the sharp edges. you should have a very fine gravel or sand, for corys.

Agree with the min of 4... but since your tank is only 5 gallons... You really shouldn't have corys in the first place.

But anyhow, I only have two corys (I had 8 a couple years ago, but a bunch died off, and I was left with two) in my 17 gallon tank in my betta sorority, and they are in gravel like that. They have been fine for at least a year, and are breeding and everything. Don't worry too much about it. The only thing that one once got injured by was my male betta, Scooter, who used to live with them, but he healed really quick.

Most reactions

Back