Hello And A Quick Thanks

Aedes

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hi and thanks.
I've always dreamed about having a decent aquarium and i'm well on my way now. I've finally got a decent spot to put it and after reading a few of your topics, i'm fairly confident that i can make a go of it with help from the other enthusiasts on this forum.
I've never jumped into it as i did not want to be that guy who constantly buys and kills fish due to lack of knowledge, time or money to do it right.

been keeping a small 10 gallon for my 3 year old daughter for the last few months and am now going to move up to a 90 gallon for myself.

wish me luck!

i've really dreamed of a salt water tank but not sure i can get the wife to o.k. the kind of money involved with that yet so i'll start with freshwater. No idea what kind of fish i'll get yet, want to set up the decor, cycle the tank first using filter media from my daughters smaller tank and then i'll be ready to choose.

one thing i have been interested in is the choice between gravel and sand the popular choice of filter types ... i'll read more in those sections to get answers though.

thanks for such a promising looking spot for information!

Cheers from Peterborough Ontario.

hi and welcome .

what type of fish are you hoping to keep?

in most cases substrate is really down to what you prefer the look of , personally i favour sand .

filtration-wise on a 90g id be thinking in terms of external cannister filters with a great choice for that size tank being something along the lines of an eheim 2217

hi and welcome .

what type of fish are you hoping to keep?

in most cases substrate is really down to what you prefer the look of , personally i favour sand .

filtration-wise on a 90g id be thinking in terms of external cannister filters with a great choice for that size tank being something along the lines of an eheim 2217

hey thanks. yup, the eheim 2075 (good for up to 160 USG) is what was recommended to me by the fish store girl - not sure of the difference between this and the 2217 but i will investigate further.
sand i think is definitely the way i will go although the wife fell in love with a few tanks that had coloured sand costing 10x that of normal play sand (of course).

as for fish, really have not spent time yet looking at any besides those salt water beauties. Thinking maybe a fresh water ray or maybe some angel fish - perhaps some shrimp or crawfish if i can figure out which won't eat the others.

the eheim 2217 is fairly comparable to the 2075 , rated for tanks up to around 135 usg , its a lot cheaper too , it doesnt have the fancy bells and whistles of the 2075 but i think its simplicity is its strength. i run 2 on my 120usg and i find them to be excellent .

there may be some smaller ray species , but as far as i know they will all need a tank bigger than 90g , with a front to back width of around 3 ft. best section on here to get that confirmed would be the oddballs section , quite a few ray keepers there who could advise you better about those types of fish .

the eheim 2217 is fairly comparable to the 2075 , rated for tanks up to around 135 usg , its a lot cheaper too , it doesnt have the fancy bells and whistles of the 2075 but i think its simplicity is its strength. i run 2 on my 120usg and i find them to be excellent .

there may be some smaller ray species , but as far as i know they will all need a tank bigger than 90g , with a front to back width of around 3 ft. best section on here to get that confirmed would be the oddballs section , quite a few ray keepers there who could advise you better about those types of fish .

thanks for the advice.

Cheers!

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Keith.

Most reactions

Back