Heater size

rockerman

Reaction score
Hi all I'm after a bit of advice. I been given a 600 litre aquarium. But not sure what heater size would be good to use I have seen some 300 watt heaters at a good price would 2 of them one each end of the aquarium be any good. Thanks in advance

600 litres is around 150 Gallons
I would suggest 2 300watt heaters.

One at each end of the aquarium although there are other factors to this.

Ambient air temp: do you keep your house at lower temps.

Fish: do you plan on keeping fish that require warmer temps. Which takes us back to the first question. The heater will have to work harder to achieve those temps.

There are others and I am sure other members will chime in soon

It will need to be about 82-84°F. As I keep discus. But now setting up a second tank that's alot bigger then the one I have at the moment. Thanks in advance

2 x 300 watt heaters as recommended by powerdyne6.

If you insulate the base, back and sides of the tank with 1-2 inch thick polystyrene foam (tape it to the outside of the tank), that will help the heaters keep the tank warm with less power.

A 6mm thick coverglass on the tank will also help trap heat in the tank.

I have several tanks going right now, and for the price difference, I’ve been buying 500’s, yes, they consume more electricity, than a 300, but can run less, in reality it’s going to cost the same to heat and hold a tank at a certain temperature, no matter the wattage, with a thermostat, the bigger ones run less time…
I typically run just one heater, where the tanks are at normal room temperature, the exception, is where I have a couple of bigger tanks in an insulated, but unheated entryway… during the winter, that room can go below freezing, with 2 bigger tanks, each with 2 500 watt heaters, the tanks hold temperature… I don’t insulate the tanks at all, as I’m basically using the aquariums to heat the entryway, and while last year wasn’t exceptionally cold, the entryway stayed normal room temperature all winter..

Thank you all for your advice. I'm going to get 2 300watt heaters. Any view's on the better ones to buy. Thanks in advance

Eheim / Jager... I know...

They have a super thick Electric cable that is a real pain to install in a tank...

But I used and still use them under tough conditions, like maintaining my holding tank to temp.

I don't even unplug the eater, drain that and fill it back with winter water and they. Boil this back to 80 like nothing happened.

Cannot say that about many brands...

If you get more than one heater get a controller, this way you will be absolutely sure on the evenness of your heating.

I use Eheim/Jager heaters

I have 2 200 watt in my 75 gallon. Probably a little overkill but in my climate, house temperature and fish needs these are only on once and a while throughout the day.

I keep my tank around 76 to 78

Most reactions

Back